Old Photo - Brass Era - Well Ain't That A........Ditch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Brass Era - Well Ain't That A........Ditch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 09:47 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 09:57 am:

Looks like a 1909 or 1910 style body with 1915 - 1916 era fenders. The front axle also has one piece spindles.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 09:58 am:

Maybe they drank the contents of the barrel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

I was wondering about the contents of that barrel also. Interesting catch with the fenders. Hood also appears to be '15ish with louvers. Missing one headlamp also. I wonder about how often he ran into ditches and other things, knocking corners off the car as he went.
My dad used to tell tales of the worst driver he ever knew, his grandfather. He was a rather successful cattle rancher in North-Eastern Nevada, and during the '30s, bought a new car almost every other year. He had to. After running each car into a ditch many times, they couldn't be repaired any more, and therefore a new car was needed. Being a cattle rancher in open range territory, he would be driving down the dirt road, see a cow, bull, or steer, and wonder who it belonged to. As he would drive by slowly, he would turn his head to try to see the brand. When he turned his head? He also turned the wheel, and into the ditch he would go. Fortunately, he also always drove slowly, sort of had to given the roads in the area at that time. According to my dad, his grandfather drove into a ditch many times each year, but was never seriously hurt.
My dad's grandfather died during WWII, and the ranch was sold because nobody in the family wanted to run it and work it (except for one uncle that was fighting in Germany at the time, and my dad who was still too young). So the family ranch was gone forever. I never knew my great-grandfather (since he died ten years before I came around). But my great-grandmother (his wife) lived thirty more years, and I got to know her. She had never driven a car in her lifetime. But had been a master at hitching a team, and driving the horses pulling a carriage.

A wonderful picture! Thank you Jay. Amazing the memories some of these photos conjure up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

Missing sidelamps and buggy rail as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

If we knew the date of the photograph, it might be suggestive as to what is going on here. The beautiful condition of the upholstery belies the really rough look of the paint on the body, splash shield and runningboard. The bottom of that "ditch" or slope off that patch of waste ground might reveal a midden of tin cans and other refuse dumped there if we could see it. Not unlikely both the car and the barrel were shoved aside there, having outlived their usefulness to the owners - something more likely in the depths of the Depression, when there was no money to spend even for a spark plug that would keep Lizzie running.
It's an intriguing picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Discussed here last summer:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/790153.html?1505537253

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 04:45 am:

From the impressions in the grass to the left of the front wheels, it appears the vehicle was being backed up. The slope of the ground appears that the rear passenger tire might have lost contact with it. Add the fact the tires are smooth, I believe the photo was taken because the T was stuck before they got a rope to tow it up and out. My SWAG (Scientific Wild A** Guess) :-)

Happy New Year,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:06 am:

Dom, I like your SWAG notions! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration