'27 Windshield frame removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: '27 Windshield frame removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

How difficult is it to remove the windshield frame (with glass installed) from a '27 Roadster? I am buying the car from my aunt in the next few weeks and I need to transport it about 400 miles. I don't want to use my open trailer. I have access to an enclosed trailer but the door height is only 70". I don't know how tall the windshield is but it should be over 6'. (Can anyone confirm the height?) I can have the car transported for about $700 but I need to be there to load anyway.

The car is restored and I don't want to damage anything. Is this a foolhardy proposition? Will I risk cowl or other damage?

By the way, this is my first post on this forum but I have been searching for this topic for a while now. I look forward to joining the conversations after I become a T owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

Welcome to the forum Mark.

A while back someone posted pictures of how they took 3/4" plywood and made small temporary wheels of a small diameter so they could fit the Model T into a shorter trailer. Perhaps that is something you could try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Hi Mark, Our 1926 Roadster pickup is approx. 68 inches to the top of the post. You will want to put the top down . Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Mark, the windshield stanchions are just held on with three bolts each. The catch is that if the nuts are frozen on those bolts you have a little extra work ahead of you. If it's just a matter of nervously fitting a 68" car into a 70" trailer you may be able to get away with just airing down the tires some if there's an unaccounted for obstruction like a door frame or whatever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

Thank you for prompt and informative responses. If the top of the stanchions are about 68” then I have a shot at making this work. I had not thought of using plywood wheels. If I can get the front tires onto the trailer bed and the windshield does not fit, I have a 4-wheel furniture dolly that I can place under the front axle with the front wheels removed. I could use that to maneuver the car onto the trailer and then reinstall the wheels before strapping down. (The trailer’s roof is taller.)

Another thought, maybe I could use ratchet straps between the frame and front axle to compress the front spring a little. That might lower it an inch or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 04:49 pm:

It is best to put down the top and measure for yourself the top of the windshield posts. You could, with some help put a piece of straight wood across the two stanchions, then from a point perpendicular to the floor measure the height. The reason for doing this is because there might be some variation in the height of the tires or the arch of the spring and you are dealing with two inches tolerance. If the measurement of each side is less than the door in the trailer, you will be fine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

I removed my upper windshield for some welding work couple of years ago. For me the most difficult part was unbolting the stanchions. Not much room under the cowl so getting to the upper bolt closest to the dash was a pain, plus not much wiggle room.
It can be done just takes more time to do than you think.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration