Making a Tintype of a Tin Lizzie :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Making a Tintype of a Tin Lizzie :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

Had to do some exposure and chemical tests in preparation for a demonstration at the Museum tomorrow. So, I wheeled a 1920s era 8x10" studio camera into my office and pointed it at the computer screen. I had previously brought up a color picture of Steve in his 1915 T and converted the full color to black and white.

Then I poured collodion on tintype material, sensitized it in silver nitrate and shot a copy off the screen. After developing the plate I fixed it in cyanide and gave it a five minute water wash. After washing I dried it over an alcohol lamp and varnished the surface. The final plate was trimmed down to remove the computer screen edges. I have a video of fixing it in cyanide and will try to post that when I get home from work. A very interesting step to see the image convert from negative to positive in a few seconds.

shooting

trimming

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

Here is the image on the screen. Note that tintypes are always backwards.

screen shot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

Mark, do you ever use a "What Is It" wagon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

Yes, they tend to be very much like Gardner's shown above in your post, but stuffed into the back of rental cars. We make them on site from cardboard and toss them when we're done. Here is a picture of my wife, France, and I shooting in rural Mexico about ten years ago. We've made/used them in England, Germany, Japan, Spain, Ireland ... a lot of them. Google Scully & Osterman for more pictures of us working with wet plates.

darkroom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 08:20 pm:

Mark O and Steve J, I always enjoy your posts about photography, its processes and history. It is a subject that has always interested me, but I never really got into it, or studied it enough to know much about it. I ended up working a lot in the related areas of video systems, so I relate very well with some of what is going on. But actual photo processing is something I have never done.
I did collect antique cameras many years ago, and used a few of them. I had to sell most of the cameras many years ago for the kids' medical bills. I still have a few of little value and would like to hopefully begin using a couple of them again.
Again, Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 09:36 pm:

Well ... my job is teaching workshops in how to actually make the plates and films from scratch that were used in those old cameras. No experience necessary .... come on out some time. If for nothing else but to see the collection. We have about ten thousand cameras in the technology collection .. have Daguerre’s camera. Massive collections of photographs, looks and motion picture films.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

Unfortunately a lot of antique cameras take film sizes that are no longer available. I've shot 116, 122, 124, and others once common that are no more.

Stereo shot of my little brother, made with a pair of 116 box cameras, 1958.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Wow, very cool! Thanks Mark!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration