Adjustable Valve Lifters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Adjustable Valve Lifters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Brown on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

What size wrenches are used to set these and does anyone know the bolt size and thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

The wrench size is 7/16.
On the lifters with lock nuts you need a very thin wrench and a regular one.
I found a nice long, thin 11 mm open end wrench that I touched up with a small flat file that works nicely.
You hold the lifter with the thin one, turn the bolt to get the right clearance plus one thousandth.
Then tighten the nut down with the thicker wrench.
When you tighten the nut it will pull the bolt up out of the lifter a little, about .001.
I shoot for 010 clearance. If I end up with.006 to .010 on the
intakes I leave them alone.
If I end up with .008 to .o11 on the exhaust I leave them that way.
You can set them anywhere from .006 to .012 and they will be just fine....and quiet enough for an old four banger.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration