Datsun/Nissan 4 cylinder distributor(for 8 plugs)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Datsun/Nissan 4 cylinder distributor(for 8 plugs)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

Has anyone used one of these 4cylinder/fire's 8 plugs on a T overhead? These distributors were used in Datsun cars around 1980. They were dual points with a stacked 8 plug wire cap.

I have a SR fronty head with 8 plugs and thought this might be a interesting distributor application.

Thnx in advance

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

Both Humble Howard & my Dad Fast Frank run that setup on their current cars. I'll see if they can post some info for you :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 12:01 am:

Hi Brass Gar Guy,

I had an '86 Nissan pickup with a four cylinder eight spark plug engine. It had the dual points and a distributor cap which did look as if it was for an eight cylinder engine. A fellow two towns over has such a distributor on his OHV torpedo and it works quite well. Parts are still available, but not a shelf item as they must be ordered. Just sayin'. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 07:46 am:

I believe SOSS covered this conversion in depth in Secrets magazine maybe 10-12 years ago. Check their website to see if back issues are indexed, perhaps you can get a digital copy of the issue or at least the story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 10:28 am:

Dual points? By the 80's, I would have thought all manufacturers were using electronic ignition. Was Datsun still using points and condenser that late?

I knew a guy back then that had a 300SX that had that set up. I was/still am an American car guy, but I found that interesting back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 11:43 am:

I installed the Datsun point distributor on my BB RAJO Racer 25 years ago - still has the voltage reducers on the firewall - changed over to a Mitsubishi w/electronics 10 years ago - If I remember correctly, it was out of 280 or 300.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

Attached is the 1st page of the SOS article. If you are going to use it in a Bosch front plate, you will need reverse rotation gears, which I have available. Hope this is readable. Not sure which issue this was in but at least it gives the years these were used. Unfortunately, I did not save the remainder of the article for some reason. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

Brass car guy, I have all of your answers and wiring diagrams and sent you a P.M. check your email and enjoy. It's in my garage running at this time in the fasted running engine that ever went up Shell Hill by Chris Egsgaard. Fast Frank

BBR

BBR

BBR

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration