Old Photo - Last Ride

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Last Ride
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 07:32 am:

That would be fine for my last ride but any Ford would be okay
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 07:39 am:

I sure would like to own that although I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea. They should have searched for a car like that for Henry Ford's funeral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 08:22 am:

I went to a local funeral home for a Packard loving friend last night and an absolutely beautiful 48 Packard Hearse for the service today. The 49 car was a sort of ugly duckling but that Henny body sure made it classy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 08:28 am:

I think Henry Ford went in a Packard. Go figure?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 09:13 am:

Was it a Packard? I thought I heard it was a Plymouth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 09:33 am:

There is footage of Henry's funeral if you google it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 11:08 am:

Is that a TT or a stretched car frame? The TTs of that time did not normally have bail type door handles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 11:14 am:

The differential sure looks like a TT Design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 11:26 am:

So do the rear spokes. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Sure looks like a TT. Pretty sure nothing about the body work came from Ford as "stock" TT. The coachwork is very neatly done, the top is seamless fore and aft. Maybe it's not impossible the very fancy hearse "box" was re-purposed from an earlier horse-drawn rig, but if so, the cab was integrated witth that new top when built. Bail handles are grand ! (So are those coach lamps )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

I was leaning towards it being a TT but the bail handles and doors confused the issue.

Rich, I don't see the coach lamps. I see two bolt on mirrors that I sure would like to have on my TT. Can you point the lamps out so I can drool too?

Thanks Gentlemen,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

Rich,

Never mind, I found them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 02:20 pm:

The rear axle silhouette looks to be "TT".

The coachwork is very likely to be from Sayers & Scovill. They had been in the hearse business since 1876, based in Cincinnati, Ohio. Although they look real, those draped side panels are either carved wood or cast aluminum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

Boy, I would die to have a ride in that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 03:13 pm:

Very dignified and appropriate for the gravity of conveying the deceased to the burial plot. I always thought the epitome was a hearse like this pulled by a matched pair of black horses, black plumes on the bridle head-stalls . . . but this Model T is certainly elegant enough. I reckon we'll all be past caring how we go to get planted when it comes to that, but I saw a brand-new Cadillac hearse the other day, white (?) low like all the new models. Dang thing looks like the calf boluses we give for scours. Ugh ! If they go to hauling me in something like that I may very well roll over in the box !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

Well I hope to be "topped with a caramel sauce and Cherries" myself. The carving is so exquisite on these. Here is a previous post of a similarly wonderful vehicle.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/215671.html?1307409340

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

Interesting thread. Just wonder if any T hearses have survived with an original Hearse body supplier body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 01:05 am:

Uh huh, there has to be a few survivors out there. That would be a very nice way to go. :-)
I'd also be happy in a toe-pincher on a hay rack with a T or a Twin City tractor towing it or in the back of the ol' TT grain truck. :-)
Ooh ooh ooh! The 29 IH flat-bed speedster! :-)
There have been people that want to be buried with their T's, Corvette's etc?
Side step: I get to work this morning, start my part-time day and the president of the company walks over, gives me a great big half-hug and says he heard I didn't make it last night (died).
Coffee shop talk this morning said I died last night yet here I am. True story.
Oh, we had fun with that today!!! :-)
I told 'em my wife would've like to have killed me last night and she said the same thing tonight! :-)
Or is this just a "Theory Of A Dead Man"? :-) They have some very good/fun music BTW.
Beautiful hearse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Packard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:41 am:

OK - a '42 Packard hearse, I'm guessing this is Henry Ford's funeral, since we were speculating on his last ride ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:58 am:

Yes. Ford's funeral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:03 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/185976.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Thank you for that Dick. The link points out my error, Steve J. correctly identified the hearse as a '41 Packard. A '42 would have horizontal "cat whiskers" extending across the fenders at the base of the grille. Thanks for the link, Dale !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:28 pm:

There is a funeral director in Hammersmith, London who is a T owner and has a hearse. It was at Tucketts last time I was there probably for a service. I thoought I had a photo but can't immediately find it. Being of the age to have CRS disease I am not sure how original it is, or whether it is TT or a chain drive extension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

Who was the person that brought a horse to Henry's funeral? Talk about a die-hard....

I always liked the detail that on the night Henry died, a storm knocked out the power at Fairlane.

Under those conditions one of the men who did more to modernize the country and world and bring it into the modern industrial age left it same way he came into it 83 years before- by candle light next to a wood burning hearth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

Perhaps the horse rider was a mounted police officer for traffic or crowd control

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

here's some keeping order at the gravesite. Losta Lincolns and a few Harleys too!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration