Unable to move the Hand Brake Lever all the way Back !!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Unable to move the Hand Brake Lever all the way Back !!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 06:53 am:

Greetings of the New Year from India and wish you all a super duper 2018. I am attaching the picture of my Handbrake Lever in a vertical position. I am unable to move it all the way back (towards the Seat). The position displayed is the maximum I can move behind. While I can move it forward toward but unable to move it backwards beyond this position, as a result it is getting tough to find the neutral. Any suggestions what could be the possible issue?

Cheers,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 07:03 am:

My first thought is that your brakes are engaging too early. Try backing the clevises off some where the brake rods attach to the cross shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 07:16 am:

Do your rear wheels spin freely with the lever fully forward? It can be a good problem to have and maybe a simple adjustment. I would remove both Clevus pins at the front of each brake rod and then do your clutch adjustment first to ensure you have a “clean” neutral with the lever vertical. Reinstall and adjust the rod length so the brakes start to apply just after the hand brake lever moves rearwards past the vertical position and they should lock up the rear wheels around “10 o’clock” position
Alan in a Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 07:21 am:

PS. You will need to either get some shoes or buy pedal rubbers before you drive the T too far, those pedals get very hot and you may end up getting a tow truck!!
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 09:24 am:

Probably not your problem, but try putting some grease here:

Then check the parking brake adjustment, as suggested earlier. In that position, are your parking brakes engaged???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 09:31 am:

No even in that position the rear wheels move freely and the brakes are not engaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 09:36 am:

Check carefully because I think the linkage is hitting somewhere. Did this just start happening out of nowhere? If so something broke or became disconnected and is restricting movement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

Further to Jerry's suggestion on lubrication, it helps reduce wear on the cross shaft cam if the bolt in the clutch shaft is inserted from the bottom so the head of the bolt is the contact on the cam. That way the wear is spread over a wider area and the bolt head can be filed to a bit of a crown to aid in the transition from 'in gear' to neutral.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 09:38 am:

This is interesting as the Fordor I recently bought does the same thing! I have been waiting for spring to check it out as it's too cold right now. But, if my memory serves, I had jacked up the rear and did check to see that the brakes did engage.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:59 am:

It is the transmission or the brakes. Isolate the problem by disconnecting the brake rods at the hand brake lever and try pulling the lever back. If the problem continues it is a transmission issue. If the problem goes away it is a parking brake issue. Once you have identified the problem we can suggest fixes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Sure. Let me try it and will update on the forum. I only hope the transmission is not buggered up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

Willis, did you try it with the floorboard out? My runabout came with a home made floorboard with the slot cut wrong. A little wood work allowed the lever to move properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration