Mag horn question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Mag horn question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

can I test a mag horn from 1915 with a 6 volt battery as the car is away for the winter. I have found 3 two post mag horns and want to see if they work. Thanks Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

Mag horns have no moving parts and operate on AC current.

They are similar to a telephone receiver. If you hook DC current to it, all you will get is a single click.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

A battery will produce one click and only tell you that you have continuity. An AC train transformer or doorbell transformer will produce sound.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 01:39 pm:

The answer is- no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

And when you hear them you'll probably start shopping for a mechanical horn. There's a reason so many people bought those. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

you can run them off a coil just dont use the high tension side. cnarley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 06:35 pm:

Very clever, Charley, thanks for sharing. I assume hooked in series with the coil primary, and a spark gap or spark plug across the secondary to protect that circuit? Best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 02:00 am:

I you have a friend with a hand cranked coil tester they typically have the magneto output terminal on them for testing a horn. They are supposed to be adjusted finally on the car for maximum loudness while drawing about 2 amps from the magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:18 am:

Thank you I will set up the coil tester and check them from that Cheers Colin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration