19-22 Coupe rear window drawing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 19-22 Coupe rear window drawing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Van Maanen on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 03:42 pm:

I am in the process of installing safety glass in the side and rear windows of my 1922 coupe. I was looking at the drawings in the ford parts book and noticed that the drawing for the rear window part# 9885R shows the top corners with a much larger radius that the bottom corners. This does not match the opening on my car or the pictures I could find of other 19-22 coupes. My car has the smaller radius on all four corners. Does anyone know if there is a corrected drawing or perhaps I am just not interpreting the drawing correctly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

I see the same thing you do on my copy of the Ford glass book. Can you post a picture of your rear window opening, both from the inside and outside?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Van Maanen on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

Mark, here are pictures of outside and inside rear window openingoutside 22 coupeinside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

Thanks! You might try cutting a piece of cardboard to the shape in the book, then set it in the opening just to see if it fits, or interferes, or leaves gaps.

Can anyone more familiar with closed cars comment on Jim's pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

Here is a drawing I have in my files:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Van Maanen on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 07:37 pm:

Perry, I have the same drawing. If you look at the drawing it seems to shows the same shape on all four corners. My conclusion is that either the 6 7/8 radius on the top corners is incorrect, or the dimensions somehow define a compound curve that is a combination of the top 6 7/8, 20 1/16, and bottom 3 1/2, 2 1/16 dimensions and used on all four corners. Don't quite see how those dimensions would be applied to create the curve.

Mark, A blank cut with 6 7/8 top corner radius and bottom 3 1/2 radius leaves gaps at the top corners. Cut with 3 1/2 on all four corners will fit. I will try to do some fooling with how all the measurements could be combined and applied to all the corners.

thanks for the input

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 09:01 am:

Thanks for the update, very puzzling on why the picture in the book is the way it is!

Does anyone have a coupe with different corner radii top and bottom that the glass pattern in the book would fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Van Maanen on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

Scott Conger suggested that I layout all three radii in each corner paying close attention to the origin points and the resulting intersections would yield the proper curve. I did this and it fit. Points of origin of the two smaller radii were not obvious to me from the drawing, so I started with the larger 20 1/16 carried it to a point 2 1/16 from center line, started the 6 7/8 from that point to 3 1/2 from the top and bottom then finished off with the 3 1/2 radius. This did fit. Of course I have the car so will do a template to have the glass cut, but was just curious about the drawing in the parts list. I may have to do a little research on drafting decreasing radius curves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

I think that the drawing is incorrectly labeled as 6 7/8" radius. I laid that out on my computer and it does not look like the drawing or photos. I made another drawing using 3 7/8" for the upper radius and it looks very close. I attached a PDF file of my drawing. This is my first attachment on this forum so I don't know if this will work. If it does not, maybe I could send a private message?

application/pdf22 T Coupe rear window
22 T Coupe window.pdf (18.0 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 02:16 pm:

The attachment opened for me fine, thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration