Odd accessory gear box???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Odd accessory gear box???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

I bought this for a speedster project not knowing what exactly is but was told it was for a Model T so I bought it. What is it?
It is super heavy, thick solid brass housing, gears look ok and it rotates great. Just have no idea who made it and what it does, overdrive, underdrive etc????
Thanks in advance for your guys wealth of knowledge on this stuff.
g1g2g3g4g5g6g7g8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

Does that bolt on to the back end of the drive shaft up against the spool?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:03 pm:

I think so. I am fairly new to Model T's, so I am not 100% sure but it appears that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

The case and in-line shift rod makes it a Langbein?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

I can not see the counter shaft gears in the pictures but I would guess that a, "Type U" is a under-drive unite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

I don't know who made that one. There were so many. But yes it does appear to bolt onto the rear end using the standard Ford pinion bearing and spool. (Universal made some similar.)
It appears to be a direct and under drive.
Something like that would be good for a brass era T in place of a Ruckstell. That way the brass era rear end can still be used and seen. (They just look better that way.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/139700.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

Dan T, It may be a Langbein, but the gears are not like shown in the second ad you posted. It shows a "sliding dogs" type similar to the Moore, while the transmission shown by Scott is a sliding gear type. the first ad you posted does look like it may be a sliding gear type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

Subject to a view of the lower driven gear cluster, I would say that it is modified with end brackets to fit on the rear axle of a T and it is an overdrive/direct box. Happy new Year to everyone. N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

Or perhaps more like this Universal for the Ton Truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

My assumption of an overdrive unit is based that on Scott's first photo, below the LHS gear, a shiney gear tooth appears and the position of it indicates to me that it is a smaller diameter gear wheel and on the 3rd photo the bulge of the case indicates for a larger gear wheel clearance or maybe for oil capacity. Scott, a light down the hole and a new photo could solve the question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

i think dan has got it . looks like it has been adapted to a car. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

I will try to get some light in the box and some better pictures when I get back home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

I am unable to get my camera phone to take a picture worth the crap. The sales ad Dan posted above is dead on. It's definitely a Universal unit. I knew you guys would know. Thanks for the help.
I am not planning to use it on my cars as both have Ruckstells. Any idea what something like this might be worth? I am thinking about putting it up for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:37 am:

I run one of these in my 13 touring. I quite like it. Not quite as nice as a Ruckstell as it is 50% reduction and being sliding gear is a not as friendly to shift. Definitely you want accessory brakes as mine has on rare occasions jumped into neutral on a long down grade.
Probably worth about 1/2-2/3 of a good Ruckstell. Do you have the shifter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:40 am:

Unfortunately I only have the gear box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

Now up for sale in the classifieds. Thank you for all the info and help guys.
Kind of sad I am selling all my Model T stuff as I barely got into these but some personal matters require me to sell my model T parts and cars.

Thanks again for your tremendous knowledge on all things Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 05:20 am:

That doesn't mean you cannot hang around here from time to time! A model T in the garage is not required. Just an interest.
I do hope things get better for you. Been there, done and doing that. Still here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:34 am:

I will still be around and will get another one at a later time. Just right now $ and time need to be put in another more important area of my life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By danny castle on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:46 am:

cant find it in classifieds.... are you still selling it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:51 pm:

Yes I listed it late last night

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/824867.html?1515299763

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

I used to have a TT with a Langbein. It was 2:1 under. During rebuild I was able to reverse the gear sets end for end inside he case making it a 2:1 over. No problem driving 35-40 mph. It was the dog type of shift.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration