Cast Iron VS Steel Transmission Drums

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Cast Iron VS Steel Transmission Drums
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brooks on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 03:31 am:

If a person were to machine new drums out of steel would this be an improvement over cast iron? Any reason not to use steel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 05:06 am:

I do know of one drum machined out of steel and has been in service for many years and miles with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 06:20 am:

Have a low speed drum in one of my cars with 20 years and about 20,000 miles on it, I put it in as it was an easy drum to machine and could not see any reason why it would not be as good or better than a cast iron one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:02 am:

There is a gentleman currently machining drums from billet steel. One great advantage of machined drums is balance. The machined drums are much closer to perfect balance and are easier to balance if they are out just a bit.

Sorry, I don't remember who the supplier is right now. I'll see if I can find his info and post it.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:17 am:

Found it:

Dave's Restoration & Machine LLC.
Ashley, Ohio

He does beautiful work. I'm planning on using his drums, if I need to replace any, when I tear down my engine/transmission.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 09:15 am:

Dave's drums are great!

http://www.davesrestorationandmachine.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 09:34 am:

Daves drums are machined from billet cast iron. very well made. I have installed a lot of them with no problems. great product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:18 am:

I've fabbed up drums from steel and they are working just fine. I don't think they are any better than Dave's drums, but they are better than stock, as they won't crack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:46 am:

IF I was going to make new drums I would use ductile iron castings. It is possibly to buy “Durabar” round stock which is essentially ductile iron bar stock. It machines much nicer than steel and approaches the physical properties of steel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:14 am:

Pretty sure Dave Nolting's drums are machined from Durabar- a continuous cast ductile iron as Les mentioned above..
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brooks on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Thank you all for the info. I'm not in need of any drums right now. Was just curious if anyone had tried steel instead of iron. Durabar sounds like it would be great for making rear brake drums? Mike I have seen all of your T-Tips videos and have enjoyed them very much. Thank you for your time and effort in making them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:16 am:

I must apologize for stating "cast steel". In fact it is cast iron. Hope I didn't confuse the issue more than I confuse myself.

Mike,

I, too, would like to express my gratitude for all your hard work on the T-Tips videos. They have been a joy to watch and learn from. While some, here, do not like your presentations, I find them very educational, and interesting. You have explained many mysteries to this novice T enthusiast, thus, expanding my mechanical expertise. When it comes time to rebuild my engines, I will be contacting you for assistance.

Thank You,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 09:05 am:

Since no one has mentioned our drums I will.
Ours are made exactly to the Ford prints and are ductile iron and come complete with new gear/shaft on them ready to install.
People have mentioned ability to balance.
I took that challenge on ours in a past post. Someone had mentioned that the cast iron was hard to balance. For three drums took me under 1/2 hour to get them to zero.
http://www.jandm-machine.com/fordModelTtransmissionDrums.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 09:34 am:

Those are purty!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration