OT - Amberola Records

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Amberola Records
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 09:49 am:

I want to play my Amberola 30 at a car show with my T display. What would be a an appropriate recording for that period. Who sells cylinder records. Ebay has them but I don't know what I am buying. It would be nice to find some old music from a Laurel & Hardy movie Any suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:01 am:

The Edison records were very limited in their musical choices. Much more conservative than the other companies like Victor. I prefer two step dance music and fox trot popular during the twenties.

You might see if there is a phonograph collectors event in your region. There will be thousands of records and players and you can try them out there before buying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:31 am:

Was anybody still making cylinder records during the Laurel & Hardy era? I doubt it. I think they were an obsolete format by then.

Le Roy Shield's music was for films, and I doubt any of it was ever recorded for sale separately. But in recent decades it has been recorded in modern formats by the Beau Hunks and others.

The pictures with this are all Our Gang because Good Old Days was their theme, but most of the music is from L&H films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHprcsIIKWg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Some good music accompaniment on theses videos, perhaps contact the site owner and ask him where he got them?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2-bZhkAsq3rcEHvW3FJOgQ/videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Uncle Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Edison continued to produce and sell cylinders until 1929. Although they quit manufacturing cylinder machines much earlier, there was still a demand for cylinders.

Contemporary music was available on Edison cylinders until 1929 because any new music that was issued on cylinders produced after the introduction of the Diamond Disc were simply dubs of Diamond Discs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:52 am:

I have a cylinder #2556 titled The Little Ford Rambled Right Along, That I have played in my 1911 Edison Model B Standard in the back of my 1912 Open Express, and have an Uncle Josh cylinder also. George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:59 am:

In my merry Oldsmobile.
The little old Ford rambled right along
On the old back seat of the Henry Ford
Gasoline Gus
He'd have to get out and get under.

All the above were on cylinder I believe but might be 2min not Amberola.

Summering in the old tincan. Might be too late for cylinder

And of course there is always
Ray in his little Chev@*!et

I found a company (can't find link right now) that will record onto cylinder for you as long as it's out of copyright but I don't know if they do Amberolas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Sam,

Here's what I do. Look on eBay for a title that sounds interesting and that isn't over $10, (unless you've gotta have it), and go to youtube to preview it. Seems like 90% of the titles are there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

BTW, for your Amberola 30, buy only BLUE Amberols. The earlier 4 minute wax ones will be destroyed on you machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

While not as elegant as an Amberola 30, this is a fuzzy memory of a fellow who used to put his gramophone on the hood of his 1927 Chevrolet Capitol Sedan and play tunes at meets. I hope you are able to do this. It would make a delightful addition to any show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

I've taken my Edison Home with me to events and played it, but it's difficult to deal with and is a family heirloom, so I was always worried about something happening to it.

My T is a '24, so it's really not the right Era for the Edison...

I bought a portable Orthophonic Victrola, VV 2-35, and it's a bit rough, but much more correct for my car. I rebuilt the motor and reproducer completely so it plays great. I always keep some records and needles in it. It's easy to put it in the back seat and take it wherever :-)

People are always shocked to find out that each needle is good for just one play!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 01:24 pm:

Despite the name, these folks cheat a little and mix in some music from the thirties and forties. http://www.the1920snetwork.com/

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on January 05, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

These were 'Hit Songs of the 1920's'.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOQjyuPCms

No idea from here how to re-record, but hope it helps.

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Cameron:

I have a four Victor Orthophonic portables and a Columbia Viva-Tonal portable.

I'd like to find a Brunswick Panatrope portable which also has an exponential horn like the Orthophonic and Viva-Tonal. They occasionally show up on Craigslist but the sellers usually want way to much money.

I also have a Victor VV-50 portable (oak veneer) that is really rough (it came out of a garage in south Minneapolis) but I paid only a few dollars for it. It's waiting in the "to-do" pile.

Years ago I had a nice VV-35 portable but I sold it. In hindsight, I wish I had kept it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 03:07 pm:

I have an Edison Triumph machine and the recording head / horn and shaving machine. Can make wax recordings but not the Blue Amberol type as they have finer grooves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

I've got the double CD set of the Beau Hunks recreating Leroy Sheilds music used in many Hal Roach films, including Laurel and Hardy and the Our Gang/Little Rascal series.

It is an amazing recreation of the music and includes many full pieces and what are called "stingers". Maybe Amazon or Ebay has it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

I don't have the T yet but I DO have an Amberola 30, which currently is playing Jaudas' Society Orchestra's "Ain't You Comin' Back to Dixie Land," a jaunty 1914 fox trot. The old phonographs are delightful! Good find!

If you want new cylinders go get some from Vulcan Records, Edisonia Records, or the Berlin Phonograph Company. They come with either antique records (lots of 1920s goodies) or new recordings done in the authentic style, some even recorded through the horn--"live acoustic" records.

Anyone with a cylinder phonograph would be quite glad to know that their machine is not obsolete--these companies sell brand-new records!

For your Amberola, make sure only to buy 4 minute titles, as its feedscrew system will not play 2-minute. Blue Amberols and 4M Indestructible records (look 'em up if you haven't already) work dandy. I prefer the sound of Blue Amberols, especially 1912-1915, but they're all just dandy to me!

As far as fitting the date of your T, phonographs were often used as long as the owner could get them started. I have a 1914 Victor Victrola which worked for its keep until the 1950s when into the shed it went. Besides, if your car show is that picky about "period" surroundings, then the bouncy, carefree pop tunes of the 1910s and '20s are likely a little too happy for them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:30 pm:

The Beau Hunks CD is movie music from the early 30's with Laurel and Hardy...

I've played my Edison Amberola X cylinder player with early teens and twenties cylinders.... and the majority of the folks who asked about the music diddn't have a clue it was period music with the Model T.

I still enjoy the T and the period music.... at this point, educating the public about the car and the period music.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

Charles F. ...I agree, the early flat edge Blue Amberola cylinders are the best for volume. The beveled edge cylinders were duplicates from the Diamond Disc recordings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

They just might surprise yuh--I've found some beveled records with direct recordings. 1913 and 1914 cylinders can have originals. I don't mean "they sound good" but the USBC Cylinder Archive (great for listening, by the bye,) listed them as original records. Who knew?

Either way I cherish what few "flattops" I can find--the first year of the matured cylinder format, swimming against the tsunami of affordable Victor and Columbia disc records. Historical and entertaining--doesn't get much better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:44 am:

Charles.... those beveled cylinders could be re-issues of the flattops,in all probability.... but as you agree the original issues are better sounding.

Not only does the sound quality rely on cylinder condition, the condition and quality of the reproducer and parts..... diaphragm and stylus, gaskets and adjustments play an important part to the overall quality of any machine.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:02 am:

Thanks to Steve Jelf who posted a link to the Beau Hunks Little Rascal music....

Fresh batteries in the CD player and Beau Hunks went with me to shows a few years ago, people enjoyed.

For those who see an extra opportunity to entertain folks at gatherings and shows, we have a MTFCA member and Forum participant here in our midsts, a boy from New Jersey that made it BIG.... Rick Benjamin and his ""Paragon Ragtime Orchestra"".
With the PRO's CD's, any of us can play these original scored selections in our T's at gatherings and shows, being period correct with the car and our attire ( for those who partake ).

YouYube : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paragon+ragtime+orchestra+youtube.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:06 am:

Don't miss this on You Tube.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3a11Y4bFc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:17 am:

"Maple Leaf Rag"; "Twelfth Street Rag"; and "Black and White Rag" are all classics from this period. Go on Youtube and look them up. You will recognized them immediately from silent Keystone Cops movies of the day. The kind of songs that make you smile, just like the Model T does. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 07:18 am:

Rag Pickins by Fred Van Eps played on banjo is a standard on Edison records. He also played the Maple Leaf Rag and many other rags. Also Vess Ossman, Fred Bacon and other famous banjo 0layers of the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:58 am:

No one has mentioned patriotic songs. I have some Sousa marches that sound really good on my Amberola. Stars and Stripes Forever is an all time favorite you should have for use around the 4th of July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:27 am:

The Edisonia website doesn't look as if it has been updated since 2014 - has anyone done business with them recently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:18 pm:

Ragtime Classic, "Maple Leaf Rag": www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMGi4zn1ClA

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration