I just installed a Holley two screw from uncle Stan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: I just installed a Holley two screw from uncle Stan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

I'm so happy, I just installed a Holley two screw from uncle Stan. A very nice piece of Art. Stan is awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

That's purty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:16 am:

You need to find a correct elbow to go with that beauty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:30 am:

I'm with Larry your 2 screw deserves a period elbow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

Many people prefer not to use them so I include a modern ferrule type fitting with the carburetor.

Most of the originals have a lot of damage to them, the threads are usually worn or damaged and the NPT thread is often worn to the point of being unusable.

I make the nuts for those in the correct 1/2 x 20 thread but have found no time to work on making the elbows.

If you are restoring one carburetor a year or even a month you can find originals to use and spent a couple hours restoring a damaged one. If you, like I, are working as many hours a day as I can stand in front of that bench 6 and 7 days a week and shipping carburetors nearly every day it is hard to find time to scrounge things like the fittings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Stan's got a point. Most of the original elbows I have seen have some sort of malady such as the one in my photo above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

I'll bet I've got a number of those elbows!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

What years was this carb used?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

I'd venture to say that Holley was installed on a 1913 Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:09 pm:

It is accurate for 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:34 am:

Mario:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/HolS.htm.

One year only, 1913, Holley Model S carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:18 am:

I thought it was 1912 and Ford went to the 3 screw in 1913, but I wasn't around then. I only base this on my former 1913 touring which appeared to be all original and had a 3 screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:41 am:

Hi Bob, Thank you for your comment. I'm not the expert of carb but Holley H1 with the two-screw cover plate was used in 1912 and also appeared during late in 1911. Stan Howe provide me the info. He's the expert, for that reason I bought it from him this Holley two-screw in the goal to be accurate with my 1911 Touring. Maybe Stan could provide more information about that topic. I'm still happy to learn new stuff about Ford T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Mario,
There were two version of the two-screw. You need part number 4550 Holley. That is the early version. The one you have is the later version which was used in 1913 only and was identified as # 4550. While technically, you have the wrong carburetor, it is beautiful and will look right at home on your 1911 since they were very similar looking at a casual glance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

sorry for the part number error. You have 4450. You NEED 4550 for 1911

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

Mario, I sold the carburetor that was shown in the carburetor inventory reduction ad to you. It was clearly shown in the photos. If you are not happy return it for a full refund minus shipping.

I sell carburetors for dozens of different applications, some for Model T Fords, some for everything from a 1907 Knox to Avery tractors and this morning one for a 1919 Cleveland that is going to Portugal. This morning I am working on a Stromberg OE-1 going to a museum in Spain.

If you had asked me if this was correct for a 1911 Ford I would have told you that you needed to verify that application before you ordered.

Pack it well and return it and I will refund your paypal payment.

The 4550 is a much rarer and more expensive carburetor. I do not have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

First thank you all for your inputs, it is really appreciated. I take the blame, when I asked to Stan, I probably did not express clearly my request to know if this carburetor was the good one for 1911. English is not my native language. Currently I use the Stromberg OF which is very good but I wanted to have a correct carburetor for my 1911 when I want to car shows. I am still new to the Ford Model T hobby, from what I understood in 1911 there were only four types of carburetors and you could correct me: Kingston Five Ball, Holley 4500, some very few Kingston six ball and the 1912 Holley H-1 also appeared in 1911.

Sincerely, Mario

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 03:13 pm:

Mario,

This sounds like a situation that could use some more research on your part. If it indeed turns out that you purchased the wrong carburetor from Stan, you can be assured that he will work with you to be sure that you are satisfied with the final transaction.

Stan is now aware of your dilemma. He has proposed to accept the carb as a return. Just keep him posted on your research and take care of the carb until you are sure what you should do.

Stan's business ethics are equal to his workmanship -- he's the gold standard in every respect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

Thanks, Dick.

I feel ashamed because I misspoke in my request to Stan. I know Stan is amazing. I already bought a Stromberg OF from him. But at least I expressed my apologies and I assume my mistake. Stan is so nice and I'm going to see with him what carburetor he's able to get me to go with my 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 07:18 am:

An added complication is the Holley H1 came in both two and three screw versions. Stan rebuilt one of each for a mate and me. They are gorgeous!

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration