New Television Show Interested in Doing A Model T Story

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New Television Show Interested in Doing A Model T Story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

This was sent to the MTFCA office, it sounds interesting, I'm posting this so if anyone is interested in applying all of the particulars are listed below as well as contact information:

Hello! I am a casting producer in Los Angeles working on a new TV Series for The Discovery Channel. We are especially interested in finding someone with a Model T Ford whoís family has owned it since coming off the assembly line. ...Or finding someone who has as interesting a story to share about the history of their Model T!

Discovery channel is seeking car owners with antique, barn-finds, restored American muscle, rusted-out treasures, rare cars, etc for a new series on Discovery. In short, it's a bit like "Antiques Road Show" on PBS but just with cars.

Interested parties (if selected) would have an all-expense paid trip, plus safe insured shipping of their vehicle to Los Angeles to appear on the show, and be appraised by individuals that I believe even your members will find to be excellent choices for the appraisals. STORY IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN CONDITION!!!!

If you have something that's rusted out, needs work, etc but has been in your family for 4 generations...they'd love that. Anything from very old cars with one owner, never restored, re-discovered family vehicles, cars that have taken decades to restore, you name it!

Interested parties should apply here; https://untitleddiscoverycarseries.castingcrane.com/

If you have any questions, please donít hesitate to call or write.
Best,

Michael Warwick
Casting
310 993 5524

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

Calling Terry Horlick. Rusty could be a star. Certainly has a good story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:45 am:

Huh.. how far are you seeking though? Just the normal states of the USA ect?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 03:53 am:

Where is Rip Van Wrinkle any more? While not in any one family forever it has quite the story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Any bets on how many custom and rodded vehicles will be included? Personally, I hope very few, but if the production is to generate advertising revenue it will need to be very 'creative' with content and presentation. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

Is that going to be another re-writing of history ?
The last one Henry Ford was a bad guy and copied and stole everything ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:42 pm:

I think there are already enough shows about rebuilding or restoring early Ford V8's and classic cars but not hardly any about restoring antique cars such as Model T's. If it's done from the perspective of a family heirloom that pop or Grandad had that may turn out OK if it's not rodded. Hopefully it won't go into the rat rod or hot rot direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

Attention Dan Hatch:

I think you have at least one car that would qualify!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:34 am:

Interesting, but proceed with caution and please pardon my skepticism. I hope someone has the means of doing some 'due diligence' rather than flying by "Blind Trust". Verifiable references and contacts should be considered. Friends don't allow friends to be taken advantage of, either.

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 02:34 am:

I, for one, would be absolutely delighted to see The Discovery Channel (and The History Channel and The Arts & Entertainment Channel, etc.) revert back from the low-budget, low-quality, low-intelligence Reality TV stuff they've been producing to the much higher quality documentaries upon which they once built a good reputation, back in the 1980's and 1990's. -This project would be an excellent start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 07:15 am:

Seems to me they should go to the car not have the car come to them. The story would be better told right where it happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 08:22 am:

Mike,

Thank you for posting this.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 08:38 am:

I would be interested but I have a face for Radio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:30 am:

Hopefully they will appraise someoneís T at $150,000 like they do for the pre 67 vw busses, thus upping the overall value of all our Ts. We are all going to be rich! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:43 am:

I agree Don - I have possession of the 1924 TT C-Cab Express that my Gramps bought new in Seattle - wouldn't want it or me shipped to L.A. !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

I fear it will destroy the hobby as it is. Pushing out the little guys.If it is a feel good informative program about the people and their cars that will be great. But a show with appraisers and ridiculous high prices. Not for me. Lets keep the Model T like Henry Ford wanted. The every man automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:47 pm:

I filled out the Form - got to and read the terms and conditions and deleted the who effort.
1. Why go to California when a show can be filmed where the car is originally located?

2. If the car is shipped and should something happen - according to the terms and conditions - I have no legal action against the film company.

As for the value of the car ... is this for bragging rights?

What are you signing up for "the House of Cars" show.
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/house-cars-discovery-orders-auto-building-ser ies/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

It could be very interesting, but I can foresee a bunch of Model Tís lost in shipping and the insurance company telling people that the premiums hadnít been paid.

Be careful ó very careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Some of you are assuming "appraised" as being only monetary value; perhaps the appraisal is of its historic value?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 02:11 pm:

And extremely good point made. Why travel to California? Film on Location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:59 am:

I would not even consider shipping any of my cars there! For it to be in another low budget, fact lacking show that will be badmouthed. I'll pass.....

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:19 am:

We have filming here is New Orleans - no reason to go there. There are a lot of people here involved in the whole story of our T, not just us. We know people at the The Bomb Factory here that were on a reality TV show but my wife already told me that she doesn't was to become famous so we stayed clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

FWIW, the show is real. They would actually prefer unrestored cars or a car still owned by the same family. Think insurance should not be an issue if you can choose the carrier. Discovery is evidently willing to provide secondary insurance. Do agree no need to send cars to LA. I definitely have no desire to go there.
As to appraisal, talking with them the sense I got was it was more about the Model T Ford story and how they were affordable. Peterson Museum likely to do appraisals. Should be nothing crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:24 am:

Would not the appraised value of a car - the Model T - be based on comparables from past auctions?

https://www.conceptcarz.com/valuation/15796/ford-model-t.aspx

Conceptcarz has the following information for the "value" of a 1917. The site does list the "value" of the 1917 in different body types.

Average Sale Value : $13,328

Lowest Sale Value : $1,100

Highest Sale Value : $40,700

With some research the value of a brass, black, and nickle radiator could be found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

It's a BAD IDEA-----READ the and DECIPHER the Contract

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

What an agreement, complete with spelling errors.
Steer clear. IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

Here are some coming-attraction trailers of the TV documentary, Alice's Drive, which, unfortunately, was never made:

https://vimeo.com/7152548

I spoke to the film-maker several years ago about the project, which, if I remember correctly, was originally envisioned as airing on one of the Discovery Channel network's outlets. -Problem was; at that point in time, the lip-flibbing, Millennial demographic-inspired, Reality TV trend had taken hold, and with its combination of ultra low-budget and high-viewership, it no longer paid to create programming of redeeming value and so, the documentary was never produced. -Today, it exists only as raw, unedited footage in storage. -Such a pity.

Still, the Reality TV fad can't go on foreveróor can it? -Now, even some of the reality shows are being dumbed down and the Velocity Channel's restoration show, Wheeler-Dealers, was gutted when the educational half of its hosting partnership, Edd China, departed because the network had decided it was too expensive to produce a show of good, informative quality. -The result of that move, as far as I was concerned, was pretty simpleóI shrugged and stopped watching it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Wheeler dealers was one of the better programs on Velocity. All the other shows, with few exceptions, are cookie cutters of each other. Chasing classic cars is enjoyable as well as Garage Squad. They still keep the cars and repairs the point of the show, no clowns or drama.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:32 pm:

It's sad what American TV has descended into. I must admit, when I hear someone say they watch some of these reality TV shows, I loose respect for them. I find myself asking "Who watches this $#!%?" But obviously plenty of people do. Assuming the ones watching it are younger than myself, we are in deep trouble.

Of course this is just my opinion. If it hurt your feelings, get yourself a puppy and a coloring book. You'll be OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

Bob ,
My wife and I were at the arrival of of the "Alice Ramsey" adventure . We also had a few other friends along and it was fun !
We followed them for about 100 miles or so and then split off to get home . '
Yes , reality tv is stooooopid !
They would rather show you over edited crap day in and day out the same shows on 2 - 3 times a day .
Anyway here is a youtube video I put up of their arrival at the old Maxwell plant .
Happy New Year everyone !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29qwBbPDTMs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

Vincent,

Oh, yes! -I've seen your footage beforeóbut my goodness, was that really over eight years ago??? - My, how time flies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 12:32 pm:

It is exciting to have an opportunity to tell a real story about our antique cars. So many of the current shows involve fabricated theme cars with deadlines and engine swaps. There is a need to increase the interest in stock, historic and fun antique vehicles. We need to support these opportunities when they come up. I may submit our family's 1924 Studebaker as it has been in our family since 1954 and we do have the history since it was new. As we live near Los Angeles, the location will not be an issue. As for the comments about other shows currently on the air, I would suggest that you watch the shows that you enjoy and skip the ones that you don't. Cindy & I are fortunate to be friends with the current hosts of Wheeler Dealers so I am a bit biased :-)

w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

Bill, I have spoken with Michael Warwick, the casting producer. He is very sincere and excited about this new show. He is very much interested in original cars, he does not even want them to be cleaned up for the show. There have been a few members submit applications and I know of one that has already had an interview.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

Iíve got a clean 1911 openrunabout. Belonged to a movie star. She was a bitty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Bitty. (Stupid spell checker)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

Mike, is a restored car out? The car was bought new by the family with all the history and have the original bill of sale?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

Dean, they are interested in restored cars too. They are really in search of cars with a story, cars that have a known history etc. Feel free to give the casting director a call, his phone number is in my original post at the top of the page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 01:50 am:

Bob Coiro, I completely agree with you about Wheeler Dealers. Letting Ed China go was a huge mistake, that other dufus is extremely irritating. I also quit watching it, and it used to be one of my favorite shows. Sorry Bill H. Maybe you could put a bug in their ear about what a huge mistake they made. As always, JMHO. Dave

Maybe Ed ought to make his own show. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 07:54 am:

If the show happens I hope that T restorers/owners are better represented than car people are on most shows from the past few years. TV viewers see some of the shows where alcohol flows and a curse word is beeped out every 15 seconds. I guess that makes for more entertaining TV. People probably wouldn't watch a show about a restoration shop where the employees gather at the start of each work day for a prayer or someone gives thanks for the food when they eat lunch together. Barnwood builders maybe, but not car builders. Let me get down off this soap-box lest I fall and break another hip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Edd China could easily carry an automotive repair show on his own. Problem being that Discovery and Vilocity wouldn't carry it since they were behind him leaving. I'm sure he'll turn up again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Any takers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

The ďSilver StreakĒ and the story of the gypsy coeds are on the way to Hollywood! The storied 1926 Touring car owned by John Butte was picked up this morning at the MTFCA Museum. It will be back at the end of the month after the new Discovery Channel show finishes taping. John and his wife will meet the car in Hollywood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Hey Mike,

Jerry sent me pictures when it was being loaded on Tuesday.

Hopefully this will give Good Press to the Museum !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

I saw this same show talked up on the 356 registry. Answer is the same, these guys are users pandering to your ego and your desire to "get on TV"

There is every upside for them, and every downside to you.

As David says above "BAD IDEA"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration