Interesting read -caution OT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Interesting read -caution OT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

Here's something else I found when moving stuff around in my garage. I had forgotten about having it. It was printed in 1912. It should be interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

looks just like the motor in my 1911 Russel. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

I wouldn't mind having a copy of that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Hi Tommy,

I wouldn't call that OT. Sure it is not exclusively Model T, but I seriously doubt that many (any?) folks here would take umbrage.

Now, this would be off topic as the printing of this repair book pre-dates the Ford Motor Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

Reading some earlier tonight, I found no mention of the three pedal system that our Ts have. Also, though our cars don't have them, I find nothing in the book about compression releases, which I thought were common on teens and earlier cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:31 am:

I have a 1919 Dyke's encyclopedia that makes for fascinating reading, even has a complete Ford addendum in the back.

The most interesting sections are how to set up your own motorcar garage, suggested tools and techniques....several of which I've used over the years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:04 am:

That is a real treasure Tommy. The information and illustrations are like nothing today.
This is a 1910 version and shows the 2-cyl Ford engine:

And this from a Oscar C. Schmidt 1909 show a Ford 4-cyl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

LOVE the old books! I must engulf myself in my Practical Shop Work books (1904, 05 & 06) again to flesh out a method for hinges.
Would you show more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

Another look inside my 1902 Homans "Self Propelled Vehicles".

My sixth edition (1917) Dykes Encyclopedia traveled to England during The Great War.

A look at the Ford Supplement in the back of the Dykes:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Cool Dyke's.
I have a couple of the small Audel's that show Corliss type stationary steam dashpots and associated hardware.

My poor '24 Dyke's.
Dyke's

Volume 1 of 3, Practical Shop Work from 1906. I thought they were older. :-)
Practical

Tape to hold them together. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 02:02 am:

The names and notes scribbled on these books gives them some personality too. Even fingerprint smudges add to the charm.
Thanks for sharing your libraries.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 06:06 am:

I love my old books. I have Popular Mechanics going back to the 30s. I started buying hot rod magazines in the late 60s, and have bought earlier ones since then and still have every one of them. Back in the early to mid 60s I subscribed to Old Cars Weekly which was a newspaper type and eventually became a magazine type. I also still have them. My collection also includes several years of Hemmings Motor News. Altogether I probably have several thousand books and magazines. My "other" books are bible or bicycle titles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration