Generator not charging

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Generator not charging
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nanstad on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

I am going through a 25 depot hack I bought and the generator isnít charging. A little background. The man I bought it from inherited the truck and didnít know how to drive it or anything about a Model T. He installed a 12 V battery and connected it negative ground. He claims when he inherited it, it had an 8 volt battery connected negative to ground but the 12 V rolled the starter over much better. Iíve installed 6 V battery connected positive to ground and now back to negative to ground. Either way the generator across the cut out is dancing between zero and 6V, I deliberately shorted momentarily across the cut out. Now I still get dancing between zero and 6 V, but if I reverse my digital voltmeter leads I get -10 to -17V. All the connections between the generator and battery are good. My amp meter seems to not function although electricity can flow through it.
FYI on another note my starter seems incredibly weak at 6 V barely rolls the engine over on the 12 V battery when I purchased it it rolled over great. I am not sure where to go from here. Advice is appreciated I am not a great mechanic! Right now the generator is my concern starter will come down the road. Thanks Tom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

Your car should operate flawlessly with 6 volts. If it doesn't you have parts that are worn out.

What's the condition of the harness and battery cables? Perhaps your starter and generator need a rebuild?

Adding more voltage won't solve anything...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nanstad on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

I agree with you my other model T works great on 6 volts. I donít know if there is something I am able to do to repair my generator or if I need to send it somewhere for repair? The strange voltages I am getting, clearly something is wrong with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Get in touch with Ron Patterson. He will gladly and accurately trouble shoot with you over the phone. I don't feel comfortable giving you his contact info but I bet he chimes in...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 01:12 am:

Tom:

First off - ditch the digital meter. Using a digital meter around a Model T Ford will have you spinning around and around in ever increasingly larger circles. Too much interference from the electrical system to use any digital meter. I have laboratory grade digital meters and Harbor Freight ones too and they all read nonsense once there is a T motor in the vicinity that is running. Trust me on this.

Start with a KNOWN GOOD 6V battery and give it a full charge. Hook it up negative ground and see if when you step on the starter button the starter spins faster than you can hand crank the thing. If not then fix the cables, starter and starter switch and then report back. Until you can turn the motor over with a fully charged good 6V battery there is no point in trying to figure out why the battery isn't charging. The basic portion of your battery system isn't working right and that consists of battery, 3 cables, starter switch, and starter motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 07:59 am:

And clean all the grounding points on the frame and starter switch, as well as inside the cable ends and battery terminals! Poor grounds are a real menace with our 6 volt systems and syphon off a lot of juice that shows up in the starter's operation. Make those contact points shiny metal!
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nanstad on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

On a bench test my generator motors fine. Chucked in my drill press at 2250 RPM I get approximately 30 V. My cut out seems to do nothing. I have read many threads on this website I find comments very helpful. I just sent a message to Ron Patterson through this forum. I hope to hear from him or anyone else that can help. Thanks Tom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nanstad on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 07:51 am:

Ron Patterson called me today, amazing patient man. He walked me through several tests. I learned so much. Even if my generator isnt repairable thank you Ron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 08:16 am:

I have not completed a detailed search for this product or any like it, on this forum. I believe, with the problems we have with poor grounding on our Ts, this would be a great help.

Copper Shield is a copper conductive compound for improving electric connections. I have used this extensively and recommend it highly.

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=437469

This link is to the product but it can be found many places. I am not connected to this product in any way other than I use it and think it's well worth the price.

Good Luck,
Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration