Proper Ring Gap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Proper Ring Gap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

Hey guys I'm installing Hastings cast iron rings on original ford cast iron pistons The little instruction sheet that came with the rings explains ring orientation and fit in the piston ring groove, but it does not specify piston ring gap. Would I be safe in using the gap settings mentioned in the black Ford Service Manual, which is .008 to .012 for the top ring, .006 to .008 for the middle and .004 to .006 for the bottom oil ring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:10 am:

I am doing one right now.
I set the top ring at .016
The second ring to .012
The oil ring .008 to .010

With the much hotter fuel we use now the engine requires more ring gap than when they were using the poorer fuel.
I have seen a couple of rebuilt T Fords seize up when hot and stick tight. When cooled down they would restart and run fine.

I recently tore a 32 V8 down with about 60 miles on it that would seize up and stop when real hot.
After I tore it down and opened up the ring gap it has been just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:00 am:

When checking ring gap you should put the ring in the cylinder that it will be in when installed.
Push the ring down into the cylinder to keep it square in the cylinder.
Check the end gap with a thickness gage.
File the end of the ring square with a fine file.
Never install a ring on the piston with the ring gap directly above the piston pin.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration