Old Photo - Late teen's Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Late teen's Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:18 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

I think it's a brass era T with an aftermarket hood and radiator shell. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:56 pm:

Oh gee, looks like we got another creepy one here. The two passengers in the back seat have got to be ghosts. They have not even completely materialized. Look at that strange orb that looks like a face, floating in the air between them. Then look at that seemingly disembodied arm and hand reaching between the two in the front. Where did that creepy thing come from? And what the heck is that over on the porch? I can see a disembodied leg, but where is the rest of it? And don't get me started on those faces in the windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

Yipes! and I thought the back half of the car had not stopped yet. Should I have saved this for Halloween?
8o[

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 03:23 am:

Well. It IS a brass era car in black era costume?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:33 am:

Is THAT a fat lady bracket mounted to that running board? Often rumored.... but never seen until now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:44 am:

I think that brace is going to do more harm than good?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:20 am:

I'm with Dean, That bracket from the cowl to the running board can't be doing any good to the body frame work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:25 am:

I am still trying to figure out what the thing just right of the brace is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Slope of the hood and the slanted louvres look like an update kit. I'm pretty sure a brass radiator is a little shorter than the 1917 models. No telling if it's a '15 or '16, if the lamp rims were brass, they probably got painted in the modernization.

Maybe this is post-Armistice? The driver's hatband looks like a cavalry officer's off of a "Smokey Bear" campaign hat.

Forged runningboard braces can get a bit "wallery" especially if the truss rods get vent or broken. I don't think that brace from the cowl to the runningboard would cause any problems. It was a fairly common patch on older cars "in the day".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:07 am:

could that be some kind of gas Gage????????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:17 am:

Too low for a gas filler, maybe a remote oil filler connected to the upper petcock location?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:30 am:

?!? I'm stumped. You can almost see both oil petcocks, there doesn't seem to be a connection to the gizmo on the fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:56 am:

1. The "Ghosts" are caused by the camera focus. You will notice the front of the car is a bit out of focus too.
2. The "head" between the man and the woman is an optical illusion caused by the shape of the branches and leaves on the tree.
3. The leg on the porch is a man sitting on a bench. His upper body is in a shadow.
3. The object on the fender is a running board light which is actually a light to light the running board. The bracket is probably there to keep the light from vibrating while the car is moving.
4. That might not be the "older teen's" car, but Ma and Pa's car which he is learning to drive. His younger sister is sitting next to him.
5. The hood is definite after market as well as the radiator.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

Norm,

You may be correct on the object being a running board light, but I think I have a better answer.

Ectoplasmic antenna/materializer. This thing attracts ectoplasmic energies (ghosts) and aids in making them solid enough for regular humans to see. Looks like this one is working very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

I thought headlight/fender braces were ugly, but I believe that running board brace is even worse. Yuk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

Rich, doesn't that radiator shell look like the aftermarket copy of our Maxwell's shell we discussed on here a few years ago?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/345339.html?1362453649

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:04 pm:

It does Howard. I have been "searching" for some other discussions of these shells but my Google does work as well as it used to. Also many more threads now. We have seen many T's with these replacements.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

Too bad we can't see the front of the car better. It sure looks like that "Lawco-Ospeco" conversion Hap posted in that linked thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

The louvers are set high in the hood side. I would say it is the same as the hood in Jay's photo. Dan Treace posted this ad in this discussion:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/271101.html?1330579095

The louvers seem the same. Notice the vent holes in the underside of shell at top of radiator core. Maxwell and others did that also. I don't exactly see why.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Kauper on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Regarding the out of focus bits on the left and to some degree on the right. Most likely this was a contact print with a curly negative and/or paper. The out of focus bits were where there was insufficient contact between the negative on top and the photo paper below. A thicker piece of glass on top or stronger springs in the printing frame would have resulted in a properly sharp image.

Regardless of "ghosts" or photo quality, I'd sure like a ride in that car today. :-)

Martin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration