Generator Tester Wiring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Generator Tester Wiring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brooks on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:10 am:

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a homemade generator tester? I'm thinking of building one that has 3-6V bulbs as a load test. An amp and volt meter. I plan on using a diode in place of the cutout. Any thoughts on other beneficial features one might add?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:48 am:

If you are asking about an off the car motor driven unit, it would be wired the same way as on the car with a battery in the setup. This is what the KR Wilson unit is. I don't see the need for a load, your are setting your amp output to the motoring speed = to about 20MPH. You are setting your output in amps not volts. Volts come into play if you are checking for battery voltage or if you have full battery voltage at a terminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brooks on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:21 am:

I was thinking it should be wired just as on the car. Just wanted to make sure. Thank you Mark, My thinking was that with the 3 bulbs on I can set the gen from 0 to 1 amp charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:28 am:

You should be setting by meter to about 5-6 amps at motor speed of around 20 MPH. Bulbs are not going to really tell you what the output is, it would be a matter of judgment and guess as to what the actual output is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:15 am:

I didn't build this one, I bought it, but it works fine.

There is a pulley mostly hidden by the test cutout that can be used if the gear is not installed.

The generator cutout out can also be tested, if installed on the unit.

The charge level is set by an accurate meter, that was also tested with another meter.

tester

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:12 am:

I built this one and it has been used a lot to test a number of generators and set them up. The mains motor I found at a boot sale and the digital amp / volt meter with shunt is available very cheaply via ebay. The cut out is a diode mounted in the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:46 am:

I would highly recommend including a battery as the load. The T generator will produce quite a high voltage (>24 volts) unless limited and it will blow any low wattage 6 or even 12 volt bulbs you use as a load. One time my battery connection came loose and I turned on my lights. Every bulb popped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brooks on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:30 am:

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration