Building model t's in winter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Building model t's in winter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:02 am:

It's 4į outside and I'm wondering what kind of challenges they faced in Detroit during wintertime assembling model t's. Did they have to fill & drain thousands of cars every time they wanted to move them to the railroad station? How well heated was the plant? How did they plow any kind of significant snowfall? All things we don't even give a second thought to now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:09 am:

I rebuilt mine last winter here in Rochester, NY. I purchased it as a survivor in November and had it disassembled by the middle of December. I hoisted the body up into my 1919 era unheated garage and put the other sheet metal on our front porch. Worked on the chassis in the cold garage with only a propane tank type heater.

I was able to take the engine to a shop where the owner gave me a corner for working. By the end of winter I had rebuilt the chassis and the engine so that by Spring I could install the engine. Then throughout the Spring I worked on the body and other elements so that the first engine test was early August. It was inspected by the middle of August.

Let me know if you need some tips on what to do first .... email me at mosterman@eastman.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Vinny, I sure haven't seen any outdoor photos of what you ask and I think it's a great question! How did the plants manage the cold and snow?
Save the warmed water with buckets or let it drain out... That takes time to save it.
That could be a lot of water used up during any winter day if not saving it!
We've seen photos inside the plants and it appears to me to be a bit cool in there when cold outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

At the Piquette Plant, Ford had steam heat radiators under the windows. The windows are single glazed with double hung sash and no weather stripping. The repaired windows are still single glazed, but do have weather stripping.

Come visit during the North American Auto Show this month in Detroit and see for yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

Here is a video from 1917 from Dodge Brothers. This is a great video, pay attention right around the 19:00 minute mark, you asked about snow. The Dodge Brothers plant (in Hamtramck) was not that far away from the original Piquette plant and the Highland Park plant was just North and to the West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYRb5HGOofw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:08 am:

Fill with hot water & drain at night?.?
Thatís ridiculous. Totally ridiculous.
Anybody who lives where it gets down to zero or colder can tell you that if you put hot water in a carís radiator and run the engine the radiator will freeze in a few minutes at 20F and colder with or without a thermostat. driving down the road at speed will cause it to freeze even quicker.
They filled the cooling systems with water and alcohol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

My grandfather in Central Wisconsin used kerosene in the family T in winter. He said it smelled 'a little' and was 'hard on the hoses' but it did not freeze (or catch fire). jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:38 am:

They seem to be dressed warmly in this photo.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration