Etter Ice and Coal truck -Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Etter Ice and Coal truck -Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:50 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:59 am:

"The Iceman always gets his pick" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:06 am:

Priceless poses.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:58 am:

What I find interesting, is the battery box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Looks like the MP cab Dallas is recreating. Nice photo !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:36 am:

Nice business model:
Ice in the summer
Coal in the winter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:52 am:

It was very common to be in both the coal and ice delivery business.

Ice delivery was not seasonal. It occurred year-round in the city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:10 am:

I guess that's where the term "Black Ice" came from.

Coal dust in the ice box and ice in the coal bin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Yep Martin Parry. The same cab I am building

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

Notice the rear side windows are hinged and hooked to top of cab. Thanks Herb, thats the 1st one exactly like mine I have seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:46 pm:

My grandfather worked for a coal delivery service, then his brother got him a job digging basements in Detroit. With a shovel.

He said "The hell with this" and joined the Army and was sent to the Pacific theater. He made it, thankfully.

He did two things when he got off the train after his "magic carpet ride". First, he went across the street and bought a car. Second, he went and enrolled in trade school with his GI Bill. Retired successfully from HydraMatic after 30 years.

He said the basement job made him realize how much he hated 'working'- so he made sure he never had to for a living again. He was a metallurgist's technician.

The things you learn when showing him old pictures. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:46 pm:

Three things jump out in this photo, the over the top news boy cap, the man purse and hinged windows in the cab. LOL 4 if you count the step on the back. I have thought about adding a step to get into the back of my Huckster, it's just high enough that it's a bit of a pain to get into the back. My knees are not what they were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 06:37 am:

For fun, I googled "G. Etter Ice and Coal Company". This book was the first thing that popped up. I haven't found a reference to G. Etter yet, but it is a fascinating read of the industry 100 years ago. And to think, I was happy with the 70's avacado green Fridigaire I picked up Friday for the garage!

https://books.google.com/books?id=xg1GAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA199&lpg=PA199&dq=g.+etter+ic e+and+coal+company&source=bl&ots=-8Dffz0izJ&sig=RBsaaWw5OIBnqg1CJ1W_Nb-MWRA&hl=e n&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwie-ITx4MXYAhVEwYMKHRrkAKkQ6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=g.%20etter%20ic e%20and%20coal%20company&f=false

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration