OT - Too cold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Too cold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:50 am:

I know it's colder up north where many of you are.
Our stuff is not set up for days below freezing
Water is froze again this morning. Oh well I don't see how you cold climate guys do it. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:06 am:

Well its currently -11 in Bay City with a stiff wind from the west..wind chill factors near 30 below. The real question here is how do you guys stand the heat and humidity of the summer months. That crap will kill a yankee in no time.. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:16 am:

I just came in to warm up a little bit and then go back out.
Wind chill here is below zero too. I've been out shoveling my driveway because the snowblower is waiting on a part to arrive. It should have been here three days ago. I only hand shovel half of the drive way loop and that about 350 feet. I don't understand it I didn't have any trouble with the snowblower all summer and now it starting acting up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Its -10 to -15 here, a bit frostier in the open, but it is a beautiful sunny day and as long as you stay busy, you keep warm.
How to cope with cold weather? 95% of it is mental, you gotta love it! For the other 5% you need:

1) long johns

2) heavy flannel shirt & sweatpants

3) Carhart "onesie"

4) two pair of heavy socks

5) govt. issue "Mickey Mouse" boots

6) light cotton work gloves

7) govt. issue Korean War era mittens w/fur gauntlets

8) a touque

9) a Kromer

10) a neck scarf or beard

Luckily, when its cold outside and you have work to do, you can always add another layer of clothing to add warmth as needed. If the opposite is true,
I can always remove some of the above items of clothing when I get too warm, and nobody has a problem.

BUT when I'm south of the Mason Dixon Line, sweating like a dog and start shedding my clothes, all of a sudden I'm being "inappropriate"..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:00 pm:

I went out to the garage this morning to work toward getting the head back on my '21. I lit my kerosene heater to "knock the chill off". The first time I used enough air to cause the compressor to kick on the motor had a tough time getting it going. I guess the oil was pretty thick. I think the temp was in single digits overnight. I laid a light against the compressor to warm it up. It is working fine now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

For the most part we are hanging around 40-50 F on the far NW corner of Oregon. With rain nearly every day its about normal for this time of year. The elk deer ducks geese are every where often cars are stopped blocking roads watching them ----hope it stays like this until spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

Perry, I have a similar situation. The wipers only cause problems when it's raining....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

Actually it's kind of easy,no bugs,snakes,earthquacks,tidal surge flooding,and snow doe's not burn well.We have very few street people! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:19 pm:

It is not cold here in NH.
The thermometer has not dipped below 0 F in many days.
This morning it was 3 F and is climbing toward 5 by mid day.
If this keeps up they will have to declare a heat wave and hand out bottled water on the corners of our cities.
On the other hand the colleges close on days that are below 40 F because they want to protect and coddle the snowflakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

Hi Fred,

Here on the other side of the state it has gone below zero every night for two weeks or more, I've lost track as one day merges into the next.

Our local institute of higher education, Keene State College, has not closed and soldiers on despite the cold.

For how many days has Our Dear Leader run to the warmth of his Florida Mar a Lago estate to escape the heat in Washington?

Just sayin'

I gotta get back to work outside, just came in to warm up. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:43 pm:

I think it is funny that school students get to stay home when it's cold outside. They go from a climate controlled house to a climate controlled bus to a climate controlled school and the most they are out in the weather is 20 minutes. We used to walk to school up hill both ways in a$$ deep snow. Our paper lunch bag bottom would tear out because it got wet and we would stuff our apple and sandwich in our pocket and keep going. The hardest thing to do was to try to get the buckles on our buckle up arctic boots open when they were frozen so we could get them off in the cloak room. Many time the buckles would break and snow would fill our boots as we walked home but our feet were dry because our Mother would have us wrap our feet and shoes in bread bags to keep warm. These students and some office workers are lucky they don't have to spend 12-14 hours outside tending animals making sure they are OK first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

Perry we are the lucky ones arent we. In a couple generations it will be un heard of to go outside in the cold because your skin can freeze in minutes and the roads are too dangerous to drive on. The only part I missed out on was that two way hill, it was pretty flat where we lived. Its pretty nice here today. 13 degrees and partly sunny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

Bud, My dad used to say the same thing...for his 18th birthday, in July 1944, he was given an all expense paid trip to Europe, via training in Florida. He'd never been out of Maine, and said he'd never imagined there was a place like Florida, where you had to chase the snakes out of your tent at night, had to shake the bugs out of your clothes before you got dressed in the morning, and alligators swam in the ditches on the side of the road! I never ever heard him complain about Maine winters, not even in his retirement years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

Yeah, winter gear can keep you warm. But unfortunate genetics have determined that cold air will still turn my nose into a snot fountain. I'm counting. 72 days to spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Steve,And it's such a pertty nose at that!!! Sorry,I could not help myself!! Jack,If you still can tell your DAD Thank You for his service!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

With wind chill to -15 degrees overnight just outside Washington DC caused our water meter to freeze (it's in a service box 3 feet below ground) so there's no water until the water company comes to thaw the meter and insulate it. Wife is going nuts without water...gonna be a loooong day....

Cliff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

Here in Glens Falls NY we're having a warm spell 2 days ago we were -20 at 9am. Today 4 with wind chill -20 to -35. T is snug in the unheated garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

Joke all you want guys but the fact is if it weren't for family being here I'd have been south many years ago. I worked outside for most of my working life and I dearly hate this weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

It's all about where you were raised. The heat here in summer is tough on you I don't mind the cold if it ain't so cold the water freezes its 22
Here now with a north breeze the low here tonight is calling for 8 . That's cold in the south. I burn wood so it's nice inside. Y'all stay warm
Ya hear. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Bill

Keene State would have to shut down and closed if they cancelled classes whenever it got cold. :-)

We just got the brunt of a Cyclonic bomb - aka normal northeaster, but sensationalized by the fake media.

As for Mar a Logo - I expect it is cooler than the heat in DC.

As for outside work - I would mow the grass except for the 12 inches of white stuff that is covering it.
I guess I will just have to defrost the windshield washers on my truck and have another glass of wine.

BTW. My wife and I went to breakfast this AM and had eggs, bacon, and pancakes with real NH syrup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

So you have to adapt. In eastern West Virginia, a typical January day is 35 degrees for the high, and in the low 20's at night. Right now, it's 13 degrees with below zero windchill. This is unusual for us. But, I still managed to get the wood steering wheel painted for my Maxwell. You simply warm the paint can and the item you are going to paint.... step outside and quickly shoot.... then quickly come back in. The steering wheel is hung by the lamp shade above the dining room table. The wife loves it.wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Steve I have a solution to that problem..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

It's nice to have a Maxwell James. We are warm at 33 right now. 21 tomorrow night. I had jacked up a wheel on the T Coupe last time so it would start easy next time. This morning it had sunk in mud with the warm temperature and then frozen to the ground. I jacked it higher and the car started alright but I had to drive forward and hit the jack with a discarded hogshead to break it loose. On returning I needed to knock a large chunk of earth from said jack before placing it under the car for the next start.
Always appreciating what folks went through in the '10s and '20s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

It's not too bad because it's a "dry cold"! (hope some of you find that funny).

Mostly below zero around here and I spent much of my week on roofs but no wind so not too bad. Each year I order a bunch of cold gear from Sportsman's Guide and keep a box in each vehicle and lots in the house. You either learn quick what is good or stay cold...feet, hands and head, are important. I shave my head so good head gear is important. Layers work good but get heavy and Carharts are very heavy but warm.

If not walking but plowing snow, ice fishing or deer hunting a cheap Ty-vex zippered suit under the cold gear will stop the wind but if you move around much you will sweat and that is not good.

I heat the house with wood for constant temperature and don't have the temperature go up and down with the furnace cycling. Right now trying to burn down the coals to empty the fire box then start adding wood. The house stays 73-74 if it is below 20 but above 20 it gets too hot. I do run a humidifier and go through a couple of gallons of water each day.

I have no problem with winter, just hate driving on slick roads with all the foolish people who are in a hurry to go into the ditch and sit there waiting for the tow truck. I don't understand why they are in a big rush to sit in the ditch.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

I heard it was so cold in D.C. this week that politicians were seen walking around with their hands in their OWN pockets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

-33 on my mercury thermometer this morning. Others had -36 on theirs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

having spent time in Fairbanks Ak (72 -74) and the Philippines (88-89) I'll take the heat any day! You don't have to put on so many layers of clothes that you can't grab a wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

As long as I am not equal to ground temperature (dead) it is just all part of the adventure.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

I warmed the shop today by opening the door. The house door and windows are open. I did light the heater for 10 minutes or so this morning. Had a warm breeze 2 days ago. Please send some rain, snow and cold weather. The grass is starting to green up and Iam worried about the trees budding out. Still picking lemons and grapefruit. Keep warm, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

You know it's cold (-20's) when you let the dog out, she licks her tail and it freezes, and now she is running in circles all day. Oh well, tomorrow will be above zero. Stay warm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

Tuesday back to the body shop to work after the long weekend, water was froze in the shop first time in 22 years. Today I take the Model T Snow Mobile out for a drive, pick up my brother and give him a ride, drop him off and go in his shop and have a beer, go to leave and can't get the T running, go home to get the F150 to drag it home but it won't start, to cold, jump it and get the T home and then have a beer in my shop with my brother, just a typical Minnesota winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

We have had about two feet of snow, -20 wind chill and high winds, so much wind it's blown most of the snow out of the driveway so I haven't had to plow it.
It will be awhile before a T comes out of the barn. The two wood stoves have kept the house HOT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:14 am:

I like winds that blow the driveway clean Dan! We don't have squat for snow right now.
Some of my friends like the clean look of fresh snow! I do too. ;-)
Warmer winds are coming your way Dean! We've been at 10 above all day and supposed to warm up tonight. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:33 am:

Duey, If I could I would send you all of ours. I like it Christmas day and that's it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:29 am:

-26 up here in the frozen tundra of northern WI Friday morning. Bundled up and went to get chores done and do a supply run. Strangely enough, after a while you do sort of acclimate to it. Once our upcoming January thaw is history in a few days we should all be accustomed to the next three to four weeks we are usually stuck in the deep freeze. Gee, lucky us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:14 am:

You know it's really bitter cold when you fart and it clinks on the ground. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:32 am:

uummm, Jay, that's not a fart.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

I recall a Garrison Keillor (sp) story about keeping warm in Lake Wobegon. Everyone fills their pockets with rocks which means it takes more effort to move so you stay warm due to the exertion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

It's 4:00 PM and the thermometer reads +22. That's up from +8 this morning and +22 is the warmest it's been here in a few days. Plus 14" of snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

We up northerners get use to it.

When it comes to frozen pipes and the like, we build a lot differently then those in the south. Our water main pipes are down 6 feet below grade, and sometimes they still freeze. Insulation is really nice, I have very little of in my new, old house. Pipes are not run in outside walls.

Most importantly, you have to find a winter activity.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration