Rocky mountain brake questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rocky mountain brake questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:03 am:

I want to put a set of Rocky Mountain Brakes on my pickup but I don't remember if they will fit the small drum (Ruxtel) axle. I did this once over 20 years ago.

Lang's sells the Large drum set up which I know would require me to get 2 large drums but otherwise would the set up work with my rear end or not?

Also I seem to remember that you can retain the original small drums and park brakes, is this true?

Photos would help if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Which kit are you looking at? The larger drums come as part of the kit small drum kit. You need to buy the small drum kit not the 1926/27 set up if you have a small drum rear end. If you have the 26/27 rear end, you use the original drums on the car.
The small drum kit does not come with the longer hub bolts to mount both the new "larger' drums and the original small drums so you would need to order those. So yes you can keep the original parking brake setup. Having both drums "MAY" cause some interference with the drums to backing plates which may require axle shims.
I suggest googling MTFCA; rocky mountain brakes and read everything posted in the past before you move on to this project. I am not a fan of the equalizer sold with the kit, there are other ways to set them up that are simpler and frankly work better in my OP.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/RMB.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:31 am:

I have a set of modern Rocky Mountain Brake’s on my 24 coupe which is equipped with a Ruckstell. I kept the original small drum inside the large drum supplied as part of the RM kit. I believe it is exactly what you plan and I can confirm it work very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:41 am:

With the currently produced Rocky Mountain Brakes, you should keep the parking brake and transmission brake in working condition. This will give you three sets of brakes and if you adjust them correctly the Rocky Mountain brakes will be applied first when you push the pedal and then if you push down harder, the internal transmission brake will be applied. That will increase your braking power. If you are in Ruckstell when you brake, it will even increase the braking power of the internal brake as well as the engine compression braking. Also, when you pull back on the parking brake lever you will first apply the parking brake and when you pull back one notch further, it will apply the Rocky Mountain Brake. This way, you will have brakes going forward or backward and if the axle or driveshaft fail the parking brake will also stop you going forward or backward. At least it will hold you on a hill if you are not rolling backward fast.

Tony is right. With small drum, you install longer bolts and put the parking brake drum inside the Rocky Mountain Brake drum.

Order the correct set for the size original drums you have on the car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

Thank you guys!!

Mark just in case, which equalizers would work with the RM brakes and are they readily available ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

The one shown in the link, mine is similar and home made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

The new kit comes with everything you need except the longer hub bolts. Follow the directions and adjust them properly and you should have not problems. You may also have to shim the hub out for the inner drum to clear.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:56 am:

Forget the Rockies and save yourself some grief...get the hydraulic disk brakes from "Texas T" instead...at least they work both in forward and reverse, unlike Rockies...the only work in forward and won't hold you on a hill, that's why you need to still have your transmission brake too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration