POR 15 on Rims?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: POR 15 on Rims?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

I am gathering stuff together to paint when it gets warmer. I think I will first paint my rims with Silver POR 15, then POR 15 primer then paint my rims. I can not find where the final color for rims was mentioned, but I am thinking it was a zink color. Wrong or right?

Thank you Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

There are some pics on the forum of guys who had their rims regalvinized and to me they look like a semi gloss silver. I primed mine and used rustoleum silver. That was close enough for me. Maybe a to bright for some people. Original zinc is a little more dull than silver but that's just me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

Newly galvanized rims look like this. Over the years they become less shiny but remain the same color. Oklahoma chrome is the usual substitute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

I sandblasted mine and painted them with that cold galvanize paint and they are holding up after about 7 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:12 pm:

Zinc after five years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

Cold galvanize paint, mine after about same time and except for scratches are doing fine. They are a nice silver/gray aged color now, matches the aged patina of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

I have found a few hot dip galvanised rims. However, I believe rims were electro zinc plated originally. This finish is finer than galvanising, probably cheaper, and not as long lasting.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

I did mine with Rustoleum ''aluminium'' color. I know, I know, but they ARE ''T''wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:56 pm:

Were the 21 inch rims painted or plated? I see lots of info and questions on the clincher rims, not so much on the split. (of course in the past I have been dealing with clinchers so really have not payed a lot of attention to others)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration