Back working on 1917..couple of ???'s

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Back working on 1917..couple of ???'s
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

Hi all. I haven't been here in awhile...health problems keeping me away from the T.

1) Does anyone have any info or advice on why I cannot fine any replacement wood kits for the rear seat tack rail? I see them for 1914, 21-25, 27, etc but nothing for the late teens. Mine is completely rotten...nothing but powder. I don't even have a pattern to go by. Help!!!

2) Do most of you go with an electric starter or stay with the hand-crank. My FIL had an electric starter installed after breaking his shoulder but they didn't do a good job with the battery/wiring. Needs to good bit of work to make safe and sound. I am working on having a nice, original as possible, restore...but safe and easy enough to drive. BTW...I have NOT attempted a crank start myself.

3) Is working on a rear axle something I can do in my basic home garage or is it something best left to a skilled mechanic? I have the repair booklet covering the rear axle. Right now the pumpkin is leaking like an oil well.

That's it for now. I hope to get some advice from all the experience here. Thanks so much.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

You can do the rear axle in your home garage, that's how I did mine. It helps to have a holding fixture, cut a notched hole in a 2x10 and bolt it to your workbench to hold the axle housing vertically. The attached pics show a Ruckstell, but you can use the same fixture for a standard rear axle. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

All my cars except for 2 have no starters and I rarely if ever use them on those cars. If a T is set up right a good snap up on the crank is all that is needed to start and at 73, with a bad back, I still have no problem. For cold starts in freezing weather I jack up a rear wheel but that is all. Electric starters are highly overrated in my opinion and an unnecessary source of trouble although I will admit that Model T starters are pretty damn robust and most of the problems are dirty connections or undersized cables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

With stock carb mine is easy to crank start but with the Schebler it needs just a little more pull then I can muster when cold.
While I don't mind cranking, I drive in a lot of traffic so having the starter is a good thing in case I stall in an intersection or such.
If it's installed I would just make sure everything is connected right and leave it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

Ken,

Cubel has the rear seat tack strip listed as part 025 -- see their site at: http://www.fordwood.com/tourings.htm and go to the 1917-1922 tourings. Note the (n) means without any fasteners to attach the part to the car while "F" means it includes the part and the fasteners to attach it to the car. Caution -- it is not inexpensive (at least not for my old car budget). Note Cubel's tack strip is "Not" wood but from their site it says, "Synthetic tack strip .... Product is a moldable, space-age material, superior to wood, used by the furniture industry for it's strength/durability." For a photo of that tack strip being installed see the last photo at the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/563658.html

Note Lang's sell a synthetic tack strip also see:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/TACKSTRIP.aspx

and also a low quality one at:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/TSTRIP-B.aspx

See the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/308133.html?1346113826 which offers contacts for original wooden tack strips to the home depot option.

Ref your question of an electric starter -- I have cars with and without them. On the car with the starter I seldom hand crank it. It is a nice feature. Calendar year 1925 is the last year listed with a break out of starter verse non-starter production in Bruce's book. From page 468 of Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford" for USA production it has a total of 57,829 tourings produced without a starter and 553,874 produced with the starter. For the Roadster they had 33,545 without a starter and 258,697 with the starter. For the Ton Trucks -- it was the opposite with 186,810 produced without the starter and 62,496 with the starter. But many of those the company was paying the driver - and they probably paid them the same if the Ton Truck did or did not have a starter. You can still demo hand cranking a T even if it has a starter. Long after my Dad could not easily hand crank the car (bad back) he could still drive the car. While not originally supplied by Ford in 1917, if properly done -- folks will not even see the starter unless you open the left side of the hood. You will need to charge the battery -- but that isn't a problem -- you can get a lot of starts between charges.

Good luck with your work.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By garry houser on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

ken: advise for making the tack strip. you need a table saw. measure around the back of the body{tub} for tack strip lenght and width. the 17 has flange around the body, measure the flange for width. get a clear lumber without knot holes. cut the lumber in thin strips that is bendable without breaking. start on one side using wood clamps go all the way around using several clamps as you go. cut and glue several strips to get the width this is a veneer process clamp and let it set for several hours remove clamps drill the strip. use small bolts to hold the strip to the body. use Elmers wood glue for the veneer be careful with table saw. garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:52 am:

RV Anderson's brother Jonathan makes tack strips. RV can put you in touch. rvmodelt@netsync.net

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on January 07, 2018)

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on January 07, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:01 am:

You didn't state the year, but I gather this is about the 1917 in your profile. Unless you have a physical affliction that dictates otherwise, starting with the hand crank is easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:05 am:

The catalogs list the tack strip for 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:33 am:

Thank you all for your kind responses. Great info that is going to help me a LOT. I should have asked sooner but being new to all this I felt a bit stupid and kept searching on my own. I must be looking at the wrong info in the catalogs ...wood parts....because I never see any tack strips for a '17.

I might just try the rear axle on my own. I know my mustang rebuild axles were a bit too much for me....getting all the tolerances so perfect without the correct tools.
I look forward to getting back to the T now...you guys always give me that shot in the arm I need!!! Thanks again.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 02:43 am:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/TSTRIP-B.aspx

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration