OT WOW! What a pair in 1914

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT WOW! What a pair in 1914
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

Off topic,right era. Figure the motor heads would get a kick out of them. Friend did the math this morning and came up with 471cu inches per jug.
Engine was rated at 60 hp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

what make?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

Hart Part, also it figured at 371cu inches not 471.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

At first glance I thought oil-pull Rumely, with that Manzel or Madison oiler (?), but their cylinders are canted slightly upward.

It must be a pretty early Hart-Parr, in the "Old Reliable" era? Whatever its age, it is a pretty impressive bit o' machinery.

I have a few 371 and 471s around here, but they are all screamin' Detroit Diesels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

We have Babbitted a lot of mains, and rods out of the two, and four cylinders.

They are very good engines.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:07 am:

Fanump shawewewewew,fanump fanump shawewewewew... FOOM! Fanump fanump shawewewewew. Ya gotta be there... :-)
Two cylinder hit and miss over head cam engines! 60 horse! Or 45 horse for the older ones. 742 cube twin!
Absolutely fascinating marvels! Not even counting the planetary gears that drive the machine!
Grumble grumble grumble grumble if they're worn.
Michael, too cool. Thanks for posting! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 05:49 am:

Funny stuff Duey!! If you guys can pronounce it,
Duey spelt it zactly like it sounds!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Rebuilt a radiator for a 15/30 last winter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

Rebuilt a radiator for a 15/30 last winter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

I was just corrected by Dennis P, it was a 16/30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

That's going to make a helluva speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 01:43 pm:

Hauled the jug's in for boring and dropped off piston to be recast. Piston without wrist pin and rings 88.5 lbs. With wrist pin and rings- 113.5 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Doggone it Michael, I think I know what happened. ;-)
I was thinking the cubes posted seem really low in these Hart-Parr 30-60 cylinders. 10 X 15 right?
The calculation used was a bit skewed using the circumference of the circle (bore) instead of the area perhaps.
I did it once myself a bit ago and results in 471.24.
Area of the cylinder times the stroke: 3.1416(Pi) X radius(squared) X 15 OR 3.1416 X 25 X 15 = 1178.1 cubic inches per cylinder!
Did I get that right?
I have been known to be incorrect too. :-)
Sheesh. One bare piston is almost as heavy as a little 17-28 Twin City crankshaft! And I thought that was heavy at 100 lbs.
Shoot, those big H-P engines carry a 1000 lb. flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 05:46 am:

Hawnsy did the math. I'll ask him later today.
It was my first trip down to the Big Four factory. Very cool!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 07:48 am:

That's what I get Duey, assuming the 10 x 15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

Michael, I'm guessing these are some "BEFORE" photos of that tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Busted. Cool piece. Little brothers thing. Can't help but smile. came off original farm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 11:05 am:

I have a piston that weighs 88 lbs. and I set it out and put my mail box on it. A state hwy. offical came and said I had to move it because it was dangers I said it not going out in the road and hit some one. He said the state hwy. truck hit it, I said I know that truck run over my mail box twice and I wanted to see that truck run over that piston. He said I'm telling you to move it and left. So it is setting out by my barn now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Eugene, The town of Wellesley MA had a utility pole on Rt. 16 that was hit so many times that the town put a sign on it that said "Our utility poles hit cars only in self-defense."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:56 am:

Busted bad. :-) But a once in a lifetime find and you're lucky to be associated with it. ;-)
IF you talked to Hawnsey about the mathematical foul, he probably piped back "(expletive) you Cooley", shrugged his shoulders and went back to it... :-)
Great photos also Roger!
SWEEET! AND Love those extension rims!
A proper running 30-60 in our near future and ready for/needing work? Way too cool. Fanump, fanump shawewewewwew fanump fanump!!!

I remember Swed's crooked ol' 22-45 conking out, going DOWN "The Hill" at a show, (a long time ago) in a runaway condition and lining up with a crawler in front of it so it would do the least damage.
Worked good.
Scared me bad at the time watching it happen. Don't know if the crawler driver knew it was coming or not. BAM!...
If the engine had been still running, one could've pushed the control lever down for "reverse" and slow or stop the tractor.
Brakes? Who needs brakes? Some of these old tractors did not have brakes, much like the mindset of T drivers, which is correct. :-)
I swear that Andy K, "The lawn chair destroyer" let me have/forced me to take the lever and wheel for the trip around "The Hill".
That old bugger ran perfect.

It'll be good to have a model T photographed with this 30-60 so we can bring this back. ;-)
Thank for sharing this M. I used to take my Crappy T over the hill at the show I'm babbling about. Good memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:19 am:

Eugene, do people not have mailboxes set into large brick structures in your area? Pretty common around here and certainly weigh more than 88 lbs. I'd been awful tempted to tell him where to get off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration