OT: in surgery this week

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT: in surgery this week
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

A couple of months ago I went to the doctor with a pain in my right side. Thought it was a kidney stone as I had one about thirty years ago. They did X-rays and didnít find anything on the right side. Turns out the pain was probably from me wrestling with the model T engine during the rebuild of the Ď23.

However they did find a sizable stone in the left kidney and in a place where it couldnít be passed. So I have surgery on Monday to remove it. Kinda sounds like removing a musket ball from my back.

Luckily this time of the year Iím in research mode rather than teaching. Iím allowing a week and a half for recovery. Anyone out there gone through this procedure? Is that a reasonable time for me to get back to very active service?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:06 pm:

Good luck brother I hope all goes well. You will be good by spring. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

No experience with the procedure Mark, but best wishes for a good outcome and a speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

Best of luck Mark. Those Doctors do wonderful things. It is surprising what they sometimes find while looking for something else. I was hoping they would find my wife's car keys but no luck yet.
Wishing you well.
Rich and Joy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

What hospital U of R or Rochestet General?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Almost nothing compares to the pain of a kidney stone stuck in the tubes between your kidney and the outside world. -That's about the worst pain one can experience and yes, women have told me it's worse than childbirth.

Now, if your stone happens to still be in your kidney, you were spared the worst of the pain and simply getting it removed will do you more good than you can imagine. -Trust me. -Unfortunately, I know.

I've had a couple of hospital procedures for kidney stones and they vary according to the situation. -In my case, a stent was implanted, then, a few weeks later, removedóand then I immediately went through a procedure called lithotripsy. -That last one, lithotripsy, involves partially immersing an anesthetized person in a vessel of water and aiming electrically-induced shock waves through the water at the involved kidney by means of a spark plug. -The shock waves shatter the stone(s) into smaller pieces which can be passed normally.

Another method is direct surgical intervention. -Whatever means is used, I guarantee it won't be anywhere near as unpleasant as an actual kidney stone attack. -Once you've dealt with kidney stone pain, you can pretty much shrug off ordinary aches, pains, sprains, strains and headaches as though they don't even exist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

Mark, you are added to my prayer list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

The best to you Mark. I too know that feeling. Hoping for a speedy recovery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

RJ .. I'm going to Highland Hospital which is actually a bock from my house. For those who have passed stones, yes I had one of those many years ago and it was the most pain I'd ever had in my life. Luckily none of that with this one. They'll remove it while I'm knocked out.

Was just wondering how long the recovery was. My wife and I just got over a horrible case of the flu. As I got well enough to be able to move about last week I did the small T projects (like rebuilding the switch) I was saving for my boring recovery time next week! Went to the hobby shop today and bought a model T plastic model I plan to assemble and "distress" to look like the '23 when I first bought it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:03 pm:

Unfortunately I have to visit the URMC on a regular basis so I know that you are in good hands up there in the Rochester area- best of luck and may you have a swift recovery...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

That does not seem like enough time for a full recovery.

I would think at least (6) weeks.

Whatever you do - take it slow & easy after surgery.

Wishing you well,

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:44 pm:

I hope you get better quick. Lemon juice and water. I would think poking around in the abdomen they would not want you lifting anything heavy for a while to get things healed without creating a hernia. My dad has had hernia surgery twice on 1 and has 1 under his belly button,those things are activity limiting for sure.So let it heal before lifting.I think this cold weather is bringing out the sickness in everybody. My dad was real sick last night,finally took him to the er. Had a stomach bug but they also found pneumonia in his right lung so it was good we went. At 83.5, he don't need a full blown case of that stuff.
I had a "torsion" when i was in the 8th grade.I will let you folks look it up on google but it HURTS and 2 hours late to surgery I would now have a soft voice.So I can relate to the pain of a kidney rock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Mark,

We will be praying for a speedy recovery.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

What Bob C says sounds about right. Never had surgery for them, but have had a few kidney stones over the years. A down side to liking to drink lots of milk (well into my forties, I used to drink nearly a gallon of milk per day!).

Things have changed a lot since then, But when I did go to college, I worked part time at a furniture store. The owner of the store had to have kidney stone surgery while I worked there, and it was terrible in those days. Nearly six weeks before he could come into work for more than an hour.
The timing is funny. Just last night my wife and I were talking about how much these types of surgery have improved in the past twenty years. I wouldn't be surprised if 80 percent recovery was under two weeks now.
Best of wishes to you. From both of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

Mark, Mom says your recovery time is greatly dependent on you and your attitude! Follow your doctors and nurses instructions and you will be fine . She believes your positive attitude will help you heal faster than normal. But like any good nurse she would not put a time on it. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

-Mark-
"Lithotripsy" by a Urologist is not 'surgery invasive'. However, the shock waves ("up to 100") they use to break up the stone (allowing it to 'pass') will have you feeling like you got mugged by someone twice your size.
The pieces/fragments of that stone "MAY" pass in the first few days, or could continue for 4 to 6 weeks. Not necessarily 'comfortable', and most people do have their own response.
SURGERY would likely have it's own recovery period. Having gone through this a couple of times myself, I am not envious. But you will recover soon and 'get back at it'.

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Good luck, I'm a stone factory. Had surgery 5 times, passed many stones. I just passed a 5.4mm and a 4.1mm stone last Friday. It felt great once out of me. These two have been bothering me since the Monday after Thanksgiving.

As for recovery from surgery, for me, I would say each time, has been a bit different. The last time was the worse. Typically the first few days, I will do absolutely nothing! I'll take some pain meds and take a nap, and repeat every few hours. After a few days, I tend to be able to get up and move around, go to work. But I will hurt if I walk more than a few blocks, then back to a pain med and a nap.

After a few days, some light work on the T should be doable. You'll probably hurt with any strenuous work.

I also usually hurt for a few hours to a day after the Stent is removed. Again every surgery has been a bit different.

Good luck, take it easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

I had a stone 5/8 inch in diameter. A stent was installed, one week later they removed the stent and broke up the stone and removed it, installed another stent which was removed 2 weeks later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:50 pm:

I had no idea the stent was this big until it was removed, an outpatient procedure. It is twelve inches between the eyes one the ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:28 am:

I have passed eight kidney stones since 1967. Maybe some I donít know about too.
Those little suckers can be damn painful as they move along tearing their way out of the kidney to the bladder.
Itís the length of time that they keep moving that is so painful.
Once they stop moving the pain stops.
In just hours or even days they may start moving again.
I had to go to the hospital emergency room three times and once actually checked into a hospital just because of the pain.
Once I went to emergency at around midnight on a Saturday night.
They were so busy with knife wounds and gunshot wounds and injuries guys got from breaking into buildings that they didnít get to me until 7am. Pain lasted until noon! I got out during the day after the pain had stopped but had to go back the next day for pain I.V. Relief again.
When I got the L.V. I could still feel the pain, I just didnít seem to care because of the drugs.
I found that you should not drive for more than an hour after they pull the I V. Youíll run stop lights & things like that without knowing it until itís too late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:34 am:

Be well and don't you dare over do it for several weeks or more. :-)
I still pay for a belly surgery done in May of 17. Oww.
Keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:56 am:

Hope the surgery goes well for you Mark; I sent the photo you asked for and a "PM",....hope you got it,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver.......De Smet, SD on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:12 am:

Not had the surgery but have passed 4 stones down thru the years, one took 10 days. Speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:50 pm:

Mark:

Good luck and please take time to heal.... your body will tell you when you're ready for more activity.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 02:20 pm:

It all depends on whether or not it is true surgery or lithotripsy. My 4th stone was too big to pass, so I underwent lithotripsy. If I remember right the stent stayed in for a week, and I passed stones later than that. Hurt just as much as the first stone. I have come back to work after a few days, but standing on your feet for 10 plus hours was too long. If you can, plan on working half days for a couple weeks. That would be my suggestion.

If they do surgery to remove it, you might need longer to heal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

Ive had the pleasure of passing kidney stones, 3 straight days of nightmarish pain. It really puts things in perspective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

Update: I'm back from the hospital. Surgeon decided going through the back in a single operation wasn't going to work ... so they went the long route all the way up through the bladder into the kidney and added a stent to allow breaking it up. Now I have to go back in three weeks to remove the stone bits and stent. Unbelievable pain now and for the next couple of days I expect. A 13 on the scale 1-10.

Spent time in the hospital reading The Original Book of the Ford (1924 edition) by R. T. Nicholson which is in my opinion the best book a model T owner (novice or experience) can have along with the shop manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Hang in there, Mark! When you get through this, it will be much better.

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

Oww.
Glad you're back home. :-)
I dislike taking pain meds but eat 'em if you got 'em.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration