Ran until freeze plug replaced

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ran until freeze plug replaced
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

Finally got my starter on and got it turning over. That is the good news. Bad news is it won't start. I replaced a freeze plug, so had to remove the manifolds. Now that I have everything back together and it won't start (will sputter on ether) I suspect the intake may not be on correctly. I have all the bolts torqued to 20lbs. I think 25 was suggested, but if so, 20 should at least make a good seal. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

Terry, i usually use an inspection mirror and a flashlight to make sure its seated properly before tightening it fully. Sometimes it seems like its on right, but they can get slightly cocked on the gland ring. hope this helps, and good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

Did you use 'New' rings on the glands ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

You could while engine is running spray starter fluid around the intake ports and if the engine surges there is a leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Another dopey response, cars not running. LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

I did not use new rings - and it was not a copper or other fancy gasket - just what came in the gasket kit. However, in the next few days, I will take the intake off and make sure it is on correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:26 pm:

which way did you put the freeze plug in? Indian head or buffalo facing out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

Dale
Perhaps you mean beaver side or queen side!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:32 pm:

Terry, Most likely you have a manifold leak. I assume the gasket set came with the 3 and 3 copper gaskets. They can work but are prone to leaking. I had the same issue with my T. It had a warped exhaust manifold which is why I used those gaskets. After much fiddling with them I ordered a new exhaust manifold and the proper rings and glands. Worked wonders on the old T. Started and ran beautifully after that. You can check your exhaust manifold using a straight edge across the ports. It they don't align rings and glands will not work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:33 am:

Sets come with the fiber gaskets, no copper manifold gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:14 am:

They were 3+3 fiber gaskets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:51 am:

You turned the fuel on again after reinstalling the carb, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:04 am:

The best arrangement is stock. Straight exhaust manifold, steel rings, copper crush washers. Sealing with a little high temp RTV is good, especially if there are rust pits.

For the plugs I prefer an Indian in the rear hole and two buffaloes facing back.
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration