Jno Brown 115

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Jno Brown 115
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

I picked up a rusty, but straight Jno Brown 115 tail lamp for my 1914 at Hershey. I just tried to remove the fount, but everything is rusty, so it's soaking in Evaporust for the night.

I want to carefully disassemble this lamp and paint it. All of the glass is nice, but I don't see how it comes out. Can the lenses be removed? Who has restored one of these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

The lens keepers may be rust hardened... trying to heat them may heat the lens, potentially cracking it, trying to bend them without annealing them may cause them to break
. You might get lucky, but realize you may be replacing custom made metal when you do.

Good luck!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Morse on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

Hi Steve. The little strip around the glass is soidered on one or more corners. A small soidering iron will free the glass. Give me a call with more questions. Randy 509 236 2393 Pacific time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:23 pm:

Brown

This lamp has round lenses. I don't see anything soldered in to hold them in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Morse on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Hi Steve I was thinking side light. Original the glass was spin in to hold in place. I have seen new spinning made to glue the lens in. Randy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Why not heavily mask the glass inside and out and bead blast, prime and paint, leaving the glass in place. As suggested, any heat will likely cause lenses to crack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

I agree with Randy and Ross, Steve, round lenses are there for keeps. Mask the glass to protect, sand with #220, and seal with epoxy primer. Surface finish with filler as needed, reprime and shoot it with rattle can Black. If you are using this as a working tail light, then spray the interior with Chrome paint for maximum red lens illumination. 115 is a very handsome lamp, but not rare enough to fully disassemble and restore.
Regards,
Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration