I joined the TT world!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: I joined the TT world!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:54 pm:

My dad and I went in together for this truck.

I need to learn about TTs now! First off how do I confirm that this is T and not A bed? There are five pockets on the sides.

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

Bed dimensions are the same. Difference is on the rear of it, say ford truck or just ford. I may have it switched around but I believe ford truck is TT and if is just says ford its AA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick-Ypsi, MI on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:00 am:

Wow! An intact C Cab! It will be fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:10 am:

Aaron,
I believe it says Ford Truck, but cant tell from photos.

I like the special hitch set up.

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 04:44 am:

Neil Wilson has posted a very detailed study of the Model AA platform body. See:

AA platform page

Note that the early AA platform is a carryover from the TT with some major changes to the sills:

"This platform was a modified 1927 TT platform. Some of the TT platform parts were direct carry-overs. The major difference between the 88-A and TT platforms was the side sills. For the 88-A the side sills were wider apart at the rear (i.e. tapered front to rear) to allow the body to rest on the AA frame which was also tapered. Additionally, the side sills were solid wood, unlike the TT which had C shaped steel sills lined with wood."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 05:35 am:

Good find Matt! Keep us posted with your progress. You are blessed to still have your dad to share the fun. My dad had been gone almost 20 years when I bought my T. We did rebuild and/or restore a bunch of antique engines together though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 08:58 am:

You'll be glad you have those doors. That can make a nice truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:16 am:

Yes that is the correct bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:40 am:

....In good restorable condition! Matt, this is a nice find and you'll have fun with it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

Phil thanks for the technical info confirming what others stated that this bed is original. It looks like we have a stock truck with only a few changes (i.e. hitch).

So I will add to Patrick's Wow! It seems that this truck was last registered in 1952, because it still has the licence plate.

Justin, Good point! I guess I would only know how hard it would be to get the doors if I didn't have them!

Keith, My dad and I have the same thoughts on restoring. No paint. But he thinks I am joking when I say let's get the engine running. It doesn't turn over, so I imagine it would be a task...

Tommy, yes it is a true blessing to have a common interest as my dad. He had a old rusted Model A coupe body as yard art for 30 years. In the last few years I started giving him parts... He has something I don't have much of- time for projects... Bolt by bolt he got the Model A together. Now he has a running registered Model A.

Thanks for all the responses!

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 04:59 pm:

Nice find Matt. I am glad that you got in touch with Phil Mino, he knows a lot about TT and AA trucks and has helped me with information regarding my 1925 TT closed cab express.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 02:30 am:

Thanks Keith, I am glad to connect with Phil.

Can somebody educate me on TT wheels. Are the front wheels the same as a regular T wheel?

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 03:07 am:

Matt, The TT front wheels are the same as car wheels, 30"x 3.5" wood or could be 21" x 4.40" wood by late 1925-27, wire wheels were not used on the TT by Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

Thanks Kevin!

Anyone know if the wood plans for the C-cab available?

Thanks,
Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 01:00 am:

Anyone re-wood a TT cab?
Thanks,
Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 06:18 am:

Btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 07:11 am:

The only wood is in the roof structure and one piece below the seat cushions. The roof wood and hardware is being reproduced but I do not know of any plans available to build it from scratch. Luckily my original wood was all in good shape. See the attached link for more details.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/478575.html?1410983044

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 01:15 am:

Justin,
Your link is very helpful.

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 05:39 am:

I found out along time ago that buying a parts car seldom work. The same thing is wore out on both. But I got you beat mine has a hood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 12:21 am:

Eugene,
My response will be the quote on your personal page:
"If somebody offers you a bucket of horse manure, take it because the bucket may be good"

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 08:22 am:

Could someone please identify this transmission from under the dirt, grease and rust?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 10:39 am:

Looks like a Chevy transmission I have one in my Tudor when I got it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 01:11 am:

Thanks Aaron!
I believe that you are correct, this looks like a Chevy transmission. Or a Ford with Chevy life support! From what I read that means I really need auxiliary brakes!

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 10:40 am:

Those Chevy transmissions are geared really low. Had one in a car for a while. With 3-1 gears in the rear 1st would do 14 mph flat out, 2nd was about 28 mph and 3rd was direct. I was not impressed. I've heard most if not all of them were geared the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:43 am:

Jeff,
Thanks for sharing your experience! Were you driving a truck or car?

I was trying to find a good thread on this forum discussing a Chevy transmission in a T.

Matt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration