Loud model T engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Loud model T engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:26 am:

I've had a few people respond to my video posts of Nellie running with the observation that it's loud. I'm running all stock engine and carburetor parts. I do understand from Larry's frequent posts that the original type pipe and muffler assembly is not what the vendors sell .... so that means that most of us are using the same pipe and mufflers. So .... what would make mine louder than everyone else?

I'm using the take apart type with stamped steel ends. And have the pipe inserted into the muffler ... but with no clamp. Should I be using the replacement welded type muffler and a clamp if I want to make it less loud? I do have a cast end muffler but I think it's not the right type for a '23. Not sure that would make a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:02 am:

Hi Mark,

I watched your video after your original posting of it. I took no notice of the volume of the engine's exhaust. I thought that your car sounded quite good.

I just now had another look and listen. I still think that it sounds good. As to the volume of the exhaust, well, I do not perceive it to be loud. The camera's microphone could be overly sensitive, sound does travel better in cold air, and there is your modern car on one side of the T and a snow bank on the other, both containing the noise and channelling it directly towards the microphone.

I think that your car's exhaust is fine. I applaud your winter driving efforts (sorry, Dan K.). Bundle up, be safe, and have fun. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Pharis on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:13 am:

Mark you can line the inside of the outer Muffler shell with a perforated stainless steel sheet, used in security screen doors. The material I use has approximately .062 diameter perforations.
Works very well. I purchase my material from a from a fence manufacturer contractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

Yeah .... I was actually thinking it was the microphone on the camera. I have a 6S iPhone. Maybe some people have the volume on their pad or computer up combined with my phone camera being sensitive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

Did you, yourself install the muffler? It is possible to turn the inner sleeve backward which will cause a similar effect as a straight pipe. The inner pipe has holes at the rear and the inner sleeve has holes toward the front and the exhaust exits toward the rear so it goes through the muffler then back to the front and then back to the rear and exits. If that inner sleeve is backward, the exhaust will go right through from the pipe to the exit. Some people want less backpressure and like the loud sound so they purposely install that way.

Another thing which could cause a louder than usual sound is retarded spark, but if it is retarded the engine will also have less power and tend to overheat.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

Shoot man! Tell 'em to turn the volume down. It sounds good to my ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

Maybe the cridics need to turn down their hearing aids

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

Here it is back in August on the first test drive ... with no body. Doesnít get any louder than that. :-) But some time when itís warmer in my garage Iíll take off the muffler and see if the internal baffles are in the correct orientation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L69XZUdj_Zk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

I listened to the sound in the youtube in your last post and it sounded like a Model T. If you are the driver, there is no body on it, so the sound is directly toward your ears. I don't think there is anything wrong.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 12:33 am:

Please don't change a thing unless you want to Mark. :-)
I'll freely admit that I'm one that commented. I lipped off that it roared! :-)
The near 30 year old tubes in the (cast ended-shouldn't make a difference IMO) muffler on my 18 were so quiet I took the two inner tubes out so I could hear it. :-)
Some folks like kiss kiss kiss kiss. I like babble babble babble babble. Strange, "babble" was easier to type than "kiss"...
My other two running T's have straight pipes so I'm biased/twisted that way. :-)
There was a fellow that had questioned his brand new muffler's "loudness" and wished it was quieter a year or two ago.
We all know what happens when I assume it was you. :-) No, wait. :-) I'm the only one looking like a dope here! :-)
I'm "babbling" again! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:32 am:

Sounds good to me.

But on another note; I run one of the take apart mufflers as well and after having two come apart on me on tours, put some spot welds around the perimeter of the end caps. Not to seal the thing, but to just keep it together. No problems since then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:51 am:

I have had this type of seamed muffler with my other T and now with the Ď23. Shortly after getting this one started and on the road I was switching from mag to battery to listen to differences and the key hit a rough spot. Well ... you know what happened next.

Anyway, when I hammered out the outer shell and put it together itís possible the holes on the inner tubes were not quite right. I know they were on the right ends ... but maybe a slight twist makes a difference in the sound.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration