OT - Ford Model K stripped bare.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Ford Model K stripped bare.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

We flew to Toronto to see the progress at Fawcett Restoration on our 1907 Ford Model K. Below are pics showing the original red color and black pinstripe, next to the repainted frame color. The shop is matching the original deep red.

The cowl "skin:". The original Murphy fasteners for a roll down windscreen and side curtains can be seen at the front of the cowl. It looks like this roadster also had a windshield at one point, with stanchion post holes in the cowl.

When finished, the K should look like this photo, without the windshield:

Many thanks to Huey, Linda, Peter and Lise for putting us up for two days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brooks on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

Rob I always enjoy your post and info on your model K. I don't consider it OT at all. What a great piece of history you have! I look forward to more post on its progress. Thanks for sharing,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

Will you reproduce the wheels like original, or just the one valve stem? It would be nice if someone who has that setup would show us what they look like up close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 06:16 pm:

Hi Rob, Thanks for the progress report. I enjoy following your restorations as they're always very interesting. Good material for your someday book on Model K's!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

Nice! Early progress always seems to be slow. A bunch of pieces painted, and beginning to go back together and things seem to move along a bit faster.
And you know! I always enjoy the model K posts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

Rob,
Thanks for sharing.

Can you educate us on what looks like multiple valves on each tire in the period photo?

Thanks,
Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 08:29 pm:

While looking for an answer to the "extra valve stems", I stumbled on this interesting video from Coker Tire. They are now making wood wheels, too.

My guess is the extra "stems" are actually an alternative to the rivet used to hold the felloe to the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

I too am proud to call Huey, Linda, Peter and Lise good friends! Wonderful people!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

The extra "valve stems" are attached to wedges inside the tire. When you tighten them down the wedges force the tire into the curve in the rim to prevent it from coming off.
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

So its a bead lock? Dirt bikes do that to keep the tire from spinning on the rim and tearing the stem from the tube. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 02:42 am:

Learn something every day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 05:33 am:

Rob,

Thank you for the update! It is always good to see parts of the car we normally could not see.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:56 am:

Thank you for posting this. What an exciting project! I can't wait to see how this develops. In my opinion, you could post much more material. This stuff keeps the fires going for me! Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:13 am:

Rob, That's a neat car. Thanks for posting. I saw a touring K up at Hershey last year. They are big cars.I too wonder about the extra valve stems.
Thomas,The video on Coker's wheel building was very interesting. Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:46 am:

Thank you for the progress report

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 09:10 am:

pic

This would be where the modern term lug nuts come from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:22 pm:

It would be nice if Rob could give you a close up view of the tires. They are not the same as the clinchers on a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:37 am:

Thanks guys. Dave H., I started a separate link with a 1907 article showing several types of tires, including those used on 1906 and 07 Fords:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/825438.html?1515507866

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

I think we're going with repro vintage shocks. The K at speed really hits bumps, and this may be an attractive and beneficial accessory (hope so):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

Like. :-) That big K won't try to buck you off anymore. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:17 pm:

Duey,
That's exactly what it feels like when hitting a bump at 60 plus. When we took her over 70 mph (only once) a tiny bump caused a part to come off the carb and was lost. I hope friction shocks help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

That is going to be one gorgeous machine. -Might it be finished in time for the next driving season?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Bob,
Our goal is in time for the Brass and Burks tour in PA this spring. Peter Fawcett and his group are professional and focused. I'm impressed with how quickly they've tackled this project, in spite of how often the owner thinks of new additions and tasks.....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration