Dashboard Clock

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Dashboard Clock
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

I have a 3/8" hole on the left side of my dashboard and thought it might be fun to fill it with something useful. So, I had been looking for just the right small 1920s era clock. Found this today and it's just the right patina for my car .. and runs nicely. Will make a little bracket that uses that hole in the dash. Don't worry factory original enthusiasts ... no harm will be done in the making of this easily "reversible" addition.

Click

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

You have my permission to mount that on your dash...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Model A folks would call that a "header" clock. Mounts on the wooden header above the windshield on the A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:26 pm:

I suspect it could have gone anywhere on any car. Fits the bill for what I wanted. Thanks Tim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

That exact same clock appears in the Murray Fahnestock book "Those Wonderful Unauthorised Accessories for Model A Ford". The advert. dates from May 1930, so not really for the T era. Cost $3.50 new as the luminous dial one like yours was more expensive than the white face at $2.50. Cheers from warm NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:05 pm:

i have 3 or 4 like that, i will put 2 in my 29 w-k roadster one on windsheld & one in the rumble seat. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:42 pm:

Charlie,
I never expected you to be one to over-restore a car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:10 am:

Ha ... thanks Wayne. Nice to know that clock was manufactured a little later. My feeling is that accessories were not necessarily purchased by the owner the same year as the car. So having something made a few years later seems very natural to me. The earlier clocks are much bigger and require lots of holes or one big one for installation. My attraction to this one is itís small size and early Art Deco styling. Works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:20 am:

layden i guess you have not seen my Indian motorcycle. ha,ha, charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:28 am:

Hey it's a Waltham. I grew up about a mile from the old factory. Looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 09:33 am:

Mark, Just because an ad is dated from 1930, does not mean the clock can not be older. The clock may have came out several years earlier, 1930 just happens to be the year of the ad you currently are seeing. Nice clock and will look very nice on your car ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Hey Donnie, Sure, that makes sense. From what Iím finding now on line this type of Westclox auto clock (in either black or white dial) was a popular accessory from the mid-twenties through the mid-thirties. So, satisfies a lot of years and cars. I remember my grandmother had a wrist watch from the twenties with the same detailing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:30 am:

Here is a nice ad from the twenties that mentions installation "either overhead or on the dash." I need a little dollop of luminous paint on the hour hand.

Clock ad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:34 am:

Well I was wrong. Need to check my glasses.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration