Picture Resize Video Tutorial

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Picture Resize Video Tutorial
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 11:47 pm:

I've thrown together a quick & dirty video tutorial for resizing pictures online with Picresize.com. Hopefully, it will be of help to some. Apologies for the hollow sounding audio.

https://youtu.be/37_0nHtxFDc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 05:41 am:

Sean,

Thank you for taking the time to put the video together. Lots of folks, me included, had/have trouble posting photos the first few times they try. And often it is because it is larger than the 250kb size limit of the site.

I also really like your profile photo showing the Model T engine in the class room with the students having their laptops out on their desk. Technology changed a lot in the last 100 years or so.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:11 am:

Would it be possible to put a link to photo resizing instructions at the top of the forum and classified sections on a permanent basis? I have a great memory, but it doesn't last too long...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:19 am:

THANK YOU! that is very well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Below are six resizes of the same picture so you can gauge what each size will look like on your screen. The original photo had a width of 5163 pixels. The sizes chosen are standards in the digital photo world. You can size the width to whatever works for you.

Width of 800 Pixels

Width of 720 Pixels

Width of 640 Pixels

Width of 560 Pixels

Width of 480 Pixels

Width of 400 Pixels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

Excellent! This should be especially helpful for folks who are stuck with Windows. I have one correction and a suggestion.

Correction: The 200 KB file size limit is obsolete. The forum limit is now 250 KB, so you can go bigger and show details better.

Rather than use the picture width as a standard, I prefer to use the height. I find that a height limit of 720 pixels produces a picture that fits my screen. If the picture is any taller I have to scroll to see all of it. If I find that a height of 720 pixels gives me a resulting file size of more than 250 KB, I just reduce the height until I get 250 KB or less.

In this case a height of 683 pixels gave me a resulting file size of exactly 250 KB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

Ok Steve, he did a good job. Now it's time for you to show how to resize with a Mac .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

Steve:
Thanks for your input AND correction on the file size. By all means, use that <=250 KB file size as your target. Not sure why I didn't know it was 250. Asleep at the tiller, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

George, I posted this on the other thread about posting pictures here. This works for me on my Mac. Try it and see how it works for you.

My digital camera has a setting to take pictures in file sizes for sharing in emails etc. which is great since nothing needs to be re-sized.

However since we are probably all now using our phone cameras, and I haven't found such a setting, at least on my phone, I have found a way to resize the pictures on my own laptop. It is a few steps, but I don't have to use a third party website as is often suggested in other posts. I am using an iPhone and a MacBook Pro laptop, but I think it should be similar for all.

Since most of my pictures are downloaded or AirDropped from my phone, they are in my downloads folder. Here is my procedure.

Select the photo from "downloads"
Go to "file" and then "Take a screenshot" and "from selection"
Drag the crosshairs to select what you want to screenshot
(I usually do the whole picture)
Go to "file" and "save" now you can "title" it, select where you want to save it, and select the "format" to save it in
Under "format" select "JPEG" and you will see a "quality" scale and a "file size" under it
Drag the arrow on the scale until the file size is under 250KB and "save"

Now you can select and post the picture from where you saved it. The pictures usually post just like the one below, however sometimes they are very large and you have to scroll to see the whole image. I haven't figured this out yet, but it doesn't always happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

I am usually late getting into new technology. I don't use a phone to take pictures, so I can't help with that. I will give one caution on using a real camera. As Jeff says, you can set it to take pictures in small file sizes. The trouble with that is when you take low-quality pictures you can never make them any better. They will always stay low-quality. I think it's better to shoot full size. If you want to post a picture, copy it and downsize the copy so you still have the full size original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

Sean,

Thank you for posting that. I might try a few things that you have shown. Most of the time I just reduce my photo by 75% and that works good, too. Especially if you have trouble with pixels, remembering numbers, etc.

Very nice video.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration