1923 touring body changes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1923 touring body changes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 05:51 am:

I’m doing some research into the 1923 touring body and found that the front end was changed from a low cowl and radiator to high in mid 1923. I know that the radiator, hood, fire wall are all different between low and high my concern is about the body particular the area below the cowl. Was this the only part of the body that changed? For instance if I had a 1925 body removed the cowl, the wood framing only in the area highlighted in the photo below and replaced it with a low cowl framing and put the 1917-23 sheet metal siding on would everything fit? Or did the section between the rear and front doors changed also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 09:03 am:

Likely no. If you have a '25 open car body, that year marked the beginning of the 'all metal' bodies, the '25 used very little wood at the front of the body. Metal risers and uprights to the cowling frame.

'23-'24 note floorboard riser screwed to wood cowl upright

'25 floorboard riser riveted to metal upright

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

Ryan the low cowl cars are pretty much different from the high cowl cars as far as the sheet metal bodies are concerned. I don't believe there is any interchanging of the sheet metal panels or cowls. The doors and hinges up to 24 are the same. The 25 hinges are different.
Ford used 5 different body makers to make his cars. They are generally the same size for a specified year but there are small details that are not all the same.
Some are the bracket differences, floor risers and etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

Ryan - you could get it close if you cut off everything forward of the front door and weld in the 23 low cowl. As you stated, you would need to add the wood pillars, etc as well as the floor board risers as Dan pointed out. You would still have door hinges for a 25 which have fewer screws and have the straight hinge. You could switch out the doors with ones that accept the earlier hinges but you would have to drill out the attachment points for them on the body. You would still loose points as a show car in other ways and probably our hearts too for the non authentic alterations but you would fool quite a few of us. We wouldn’t be fooled for long though unless you replaced the front fenders and radiator apron too. The question is why would one want to do all this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

Dan, i have a touring body with the equal style hinges which should be a '25, and wood cowl uprights in the cowl---which you indicate as '23-4. So do I have a late '24 body and not a '25?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

Chad: I have a 25 like yours, it was built in Nov 24 but is a 25 model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

If your car is pretty much original the door hinges would indicate if your car is a 25. They are unique for a 25. Could be its a late 24 that has a few of the 25 attributes on it. Ford was known to start using parts on the later cars if it was late in the year before model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

Thanks Don, and Dan for the informative post. I wanted to make sure I was dating this cut off touring I picked up correctly. It is fun to learn some of these differences, but sometimes also aggravating.

I am also going to have to look at my '25 Canadian to see how it is assembled (touring body also)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 01:13 am:

And a Canadian body may be different than a USA built body.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration