Manifold replacement question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Manifold replacement question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

When replacing he manifolds, do you do it in a particular order - such as intake first or exhaust first? Do you take the exhaust loose from the manifold first? All helpful hints appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

For sure, remove the exhaust pipe and its packing nut from the exhaust manifold first. Then assuming that you don't have a vaporizer setup or an after market one piece intake/exhaust manifold, like a Wilmo, it does matter which manifold is removed first. When replacing them. it is helpful to have more than two hands available, or one of the installation tools that the dealers sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

I think Terry W. meant "...it [doesn't] matter which manifold is removed first."

When replacing them, you do both at the same time, which is why Terry W. recommends extra hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

I install the intake first using cut-off or turned clamps to verify good sealing and I only use the original ring & gland sets then I install the exhaust manifold and again, verify that all 4 ports went onto the rings visually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

I was thinking about just what Steve said. Last time I did the exhaust first, and that may be what is causing my issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

I've installed "dozens" of manifolds for myself & customers - I find it much simpler and easy to visually verify by doing intake first - looking down from the top then the same drill with the exhaust - you can see all the ports going "home" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

Yep, Jerry; I didn't catch my mistake before I posted and once done; its chiseled in stone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

I like to help out those copper rings with a little high-temp RTV, especially if there are any rust pits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Copper rings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:26 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3063-64.aspx

FORD Parts 3063 and 3064. See also page 14 in the 8-5-28 parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

AHH! Thanks. If this try doesn't do the job, I will order a set of those!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:54 am:

Terry S.,

Don't fool around with anything other than the gaskets that Steve has shown. Just about any other style will allow your manifold to warp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Some people swear by the copper gaskets which combine the ring and the gasket in one piece. I believe they're an import from Oz. They look to me like they would work as well as the stock items, but I don't see how they would be any better. I've never tried them because they cost nearly four times the price of the correct ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:34 am:

I agree that installing the inlet manifold first is a good idea. Indeed if you are lucky enough to have a Chaffin High Volume manifold, it is essential as the larger size make installation of the inlet almost impossible once the exhaust is in place. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

Here's how I do it. Hold the exhaust manifold in place with one hand. Install clamps on studs 1 & 4 in a vertical position. Run two nuts on studs 1 & 4 just hand tight against the two clamps. This will hold the manifold in place. Next, install the intake manifold and place clamps and nuts on studs 2 & 3 in the normal position and snug these up. Now you can back off the nuts on studs 1 & 4 and rotate the clamps into the proper position and snug up those nuts. There you have it. Only requires two hands and no special tools or fixtures. Easy as pie. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 05:05 pm:

Just a reminder, after you have fired up the motor, don't forget to retighten all again. Others will have a schedule when and how many times. Don't let a leak start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

Robert H. - that is almost exactly how I finally did it! I was going to say that i did everything wrong and it worked LOL. I didn't even take the exhaust loose because it was not going to come off easily if at all. I applied RTV liberally to all 6 rings, clamped the intake in place for a while so there was a good seal, then took it off, installed the exhaust as you describe, then the intake and it all works just fine. Great to have it running once again. As always, thanks for all the help! If I ever have to do this again, I will certainly use copper washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

I install the exhaust manifold first, hold it in place with the end clamps turned vertical then install the intake and rest of clamps. Been doing it that way from day one and works fine for me. Only need two hands.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration