Ignition Swtich Tumblers....AGIAN

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ignition Swtich Tumblers....AGIAN
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Jackson on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

Does anyone know the answer to the tumblers falling out? I have read so many places on all you need to do is clean the contacts. Well the contacts are not my problem this time. The tumbler was in pieces and would not let me put the key in. It was jammed in such a way I could turn the key. So I have 2 spare tumbler sets and thought, like many before me, oh this should be an easy replacement... Well it was till I put it all back together and found the tumbler key slides fall out the bottom. So back apart again. I put a piece of tape back over the slides and reassembled. Only part ways this time. And yet again, they don't stay where should. Only if you take the assembly and shake it a little with the key turn. My fear is when I drive to somewhere and now it doesn't turn I'm stuck. Not a fan of that happening.... So I also hear Ben Martin is the "KEY". Still would like to understand how these stayed in place and would continually work without a hitch.

Thanks for the information and DRIVE ON.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

Look at the third photo in my November 21 2017 post talking about the reference hole on tab type ignition switch. My fix is the brass tubing shown further down,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Jackson on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:07 pm:

Awesome Tom. Thanks very much. I see the cage that I guess some have and some don't. My old one did not have a cage around it either. Maybe that's why all the tumbler keys were gone anyway. Ok so now on the hunt to find a copper pipe and see what I can create.

Thanks again for you help sir.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:08 pm:

The tumblers are not inter-changeable with the 3 or 4 various types of switches that were made.

There were normally on 3 or 4 tumblers.

Some had a little ear on top and a small spring along side.

Others had a strip on the bottom that kept them from dropping down more than about 1/8th inch.

A groove kept the tumbler from turning until the key lined up the tumblers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration