OT - winch question?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - winch question?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

I have a garage that I do some model t repairs in. Itís on a gravel platform. So itís off the ground about 1ft. Thereís a wood ramp to get in and out of the garage door itís not too steep but steep enough where I cannot push a non running car in by myself. I was thinking about getting the Harbor Fright 120 volt winch. Install it on the opposite wall, and pull the car in. Will I able winch the car back in by myself?

This is the one I was looking at will it be strong enough? Or is there a better one or way?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

I have a 2000lb Harbor Freight winch and it works fine for the 1200lb Model T. The T is on rolling wheels and offers little resistance for rolling it around or pulling it. Just take it out of gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

John,

If you have sling(s) or a long tow rope - if you have a secure point of attachment behind the vehicle - you can use a pulley to set up the winch to pull the vehicle out in stages.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

Why not just use a hand "come along"? A lot cheaper and most of them are rated at a ton these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

Maybe if you want more grey hair ! (LOL)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

The biggest thing to look at is how much itís rated as you pull out the cable. The 1500lbs rating is most likely only the top layer of cable. As you pull out more cable to capacity goes down. It looks like the top chart on the right tells you what these specs are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

As you pull out more cable the wrap around the drum is smaller which should mean more power.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Ken, your right I was totally thinking of that backwards. Hereís that chart on that winch. Rated at 1045 lbs cable full in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

The simple answer is "Yes."

The winch has plenty of power.
The cable is plenty long.
The remote control allows you to walk alongside and steer the car.

Make a "Y" strap that attaches to the front axle just at the two spring perches, and the winch snaps to it.

Easy Peasy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

I've thought about mounting a boat type cable winch to the back wall of my garage but have not yet. With enough cable, and hooks secured to the rafters, ceiling in my garage, it could be used for lifting things. I see used boat winches cheap at flea markets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

What are your toe's,feet,fingers and hands worth??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration