Down in the Dumps ;o(

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Down in the Dumps ;o(
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

Maybe you have photos of stuff you found back when they were around.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

I know of a place like that Richard. Its about 15 miles away. Probably 50 acres with cars from 20's to early 70's. The owner will not sell a thing or even let you on the property. Only hope is someday there will be an auction so these parts can be saved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

We had a township dump for all kinds of trash but they wouldn't let you go through the stuff, We also had wrecking yards and salvage yards that were private and you could buy parts. The only place we could find stuff was in a back field of a farm and most of that was his old trucks and equipment so we had to pay the salvage yard for anything we needed. I do remember the BEES & HORNETS when at the salvage yard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

Back when I was a wee lad in the early 60ís the man who lived behind my grandma had a yardfull of Model Tís and Aís. He would never let anyone beyond his big fence. My grandma told him I loved old cars (even at 10 years old!) so he would let me in to play in the cars. I have been hooked ever since. Thank You Mr. Rodriquez!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Nice Rich, is it long gone or still around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

I was last there 10 years ago and could find nothing worth picking up. I wish I had taken pictures of some of the other places we found parts. One dump had a dozen "improved" Coupes but the doors and trunk lids had been harvested. Another had 2 or 3 dozen touring bodies. A local dealer went through and torched off anything he thought was sell-able. The dry climate here preserved things that weren't sitting wet ground. I have parts with original black paint remaining is spots the sun hasn't shown on. The pictures do remind me of how lucky we were years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:07 pm:

Brings back memories good and then not so good.

Out here in the country where I live in
CentralTexas I grew up not far from the local area junkyard full of old tractors, cars, farm machinery and whatever. I can fondly remember the early V8 Fords and model A and T engines, parts body remains and etc. That was in the 60's.

The owner died and the son in law closed the place up and let it go for years. 12 years ago he decided to sell the property and had a crusher come out and crushed the remains of the cars and the rest of the iron loaded on some trucks and taken to the local scrapper. Boy did I hate to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

Love those photos Rich...
Took photos of these two snapshots I uncovered in a box I hadnít looked at in years...
My nephew sitting in the TT that was gunna be my first T...I went with the $35.00 he wanted for it in my pocket ....For some reason he didnít want to sell it to a 14year old kid...
Bought all stuff in the other photo for $15.00..... He is almost50 years old now..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Is it OK I do this Carl?

Great photos guys!
Had a couple of rock piles where body parts were tossed. Grabbed an open car's door. Wonder if it's still in my friend's dad's shed?
Couldn't take it home on my bicycle I guess.
By the time I was old enough, the parts were gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

In my misspent youth the dump was a dump. You could go in and salvage stuff. Now the dump is a "sanitary landfill". You're not allowed to take anything, and at the end of the day a bulldozer buries it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

About ten years ago we heard of a ďbackyardĒ being cleared by a realtor in AZ so six of us loaded up our trailers and ran over. We filled the trailers, I brought back 6-8 T chassis and three TT chassis. The other guys brought back similar loads. I think we all chipped $200. It was stored in a new backyard not more than 10 miles from my home and over the years we sold lots. I remember taking 30 left hand side rear axles to Glen Chaffin and got credit for more bits. Over the years Iíve been back but now itís overgrown with weeds but I would guess there is more stuff left.
I know there is a stack of over 30 magneto winding cores in a stacked pile. I donít think we sold any of them:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 07:14 am:

Here is an other one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qOsBoSY0Kw

Enjoy

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:20 am:

There used to be a seller on T-bay from Caldwell (sp?) Idaho who listed 'a mountain of model T parts'. The mountain appeared to be a pile of crumpled rusty old car sheet metal pushed into a heap with a bulldozer. Any of you folks in that area have any info on this? At one time the 'mountain' must have looked like some of the pics you posted above. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:43 am:

Back in the 60's my father and I scrounged the dumps in Washington. 3 come to my mind that were memorable each for its own reasons.

The dump in Colville was an over the edge with a river at the bottom. We found lots of model t parts as well as other interesting stuff. I found a pressed tin Overland Script dealer sign. Like the ones that said Overland service with a blank spot for miles.

The dump in south of Davenport Wa, there were lots of model t parts just laying around. I was picking up flat fender when I heard an unusual noise which as a city boy had no idea what it was. Seems I disturbed a sleeping rattle snake and he or she was a bit perturbed. Needless to say I dropped the fender and ran like hell. We did get the back section of an early 1912 touring body from there.

The 3rd dump was in western Washington near Granite Falls. We found a complete 1914 model t touring body even had upholstery and a top. This to was an over the edge river at the bottom dump. It took us all day to pack that body up the steep grade. Once up at the top we loaded it in the truck when a local came by and asked us if we wanted another model t. Of course we said yes, and followed him to his place where we purchased a very nice original unrestored 1926 roadster pick up.

We spent many a weekend scrounging parts from all over the State of Washington. Some of which I still have with fond memories.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

Anyone remember the junkyard German Shepherd chained up so you had to walk half a mile round the edge of the yard to get to a spot 10ft beyond the dog?

The last shot in Jay's post is somewhere in England not long after the end of the Great War. The famous Slough Dump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

I miss what we called the "Junk yards" walk in with a cart and a box of tools load it up and take it to the counter, buy a soda and start dickering with the owner about how much this will cost. Now you go to an "Automotive Recycling Yard" find something you want or need they bring out the parts manual and say you owe them 60% of retail for a new part, and no we don't negotiate that's the price take it or leave it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

Every once in a while my wife and i will go on a junk yard date to look at old cars and talk about what parts are called. Sometimes we bought parts, as when we were restoring Junior, the '50 F1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

Interesting photo of the airplanes in the last junkyard pic that Jay posted. I wonder where they came from and how they were aquired. Worth big bucks in today's world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

In the late í60ís as a kid growing up in the Magic Valley area of Southern Idaho, there were a number of unofficial dumps along with town dumps that looked not unlike the ones in Richard Eagleís photos. There were a surprising amount of old rusty car bodies and miscellaneous parts from the Ďteens í20ís and í30ís in these places. My favorites were the old Paul and Burley, Idaho dumps. Occasionally, one would find a 1920ís car body or chassis dumped next to the Snake River or along the banks of irrigation canals. I gleefully collected a number of early Idaho license plates from these areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

John, judging from the RHD cars and license plates, thats a British scrap yard after The Great War.

Those Sopwith Camels probably didnt bring in much cash for scrap as they were pretty light!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

2nd to last photo:
"MY [ROMING] DAYS ARE OVER
MY DUTY NOW IS
TO LICK THE JAPS"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

Those pics bring to mind the late Barney Pollard and the hundreds and hundreds of cars he saved from such places. He even fought the Feds during WWII because they wanted his huge collection for the war effort and he refused to give them up. He won and thereby saved a lot of early and rare cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

Didn't Barney Pollard store some of the cars standing on end. It seems like I've seem some pictures of them.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 07:02 pm:

Rich,
The picture and link posted below may be the images you mention.

Best regards, John Page, Australia

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/274921.html?1331825340

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

My only contribution is a desert shooting trip that I went on with some friends in 1977. Somewhere out in Nevada we came across a matched pair of twenties vintage T fenders, laying side by side. Obviously, someone had stripped a car there and probably used the engine/frame for mining purposes. They were straight and still had nice black Ford paint.

The upshot was that my "buddies" talked me OUT of strapping those beauties to the top of my new camper and taking them back home.

I don't think I've talked to either one of them since.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

James,
That may have been Hopkins in Caldwell, Id.
I haven't been there in years, but they didn't have much in the way of T parts.
I am sure Rich has memories there,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

InMinnesota there were several places that in the 1950s that were loaded with pre WWl items. One was Oscar Palms place near
Green lake MN. About 10 acres of early parts and some cars.
I first visited the place in 1954. I made friends with
Oscar for paid for my finds. Some clubs members took items with out paying him. I found many nice items. I last went out in 1975 and found every thing gone. Oscar had died at the age of 90 and a nephew inherited the place. The nephew had every thing hauled to the scrapers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Auckland airport had some treasure. They wouldn't sell a thing, not even a wheel nut. Not because they liked cars, they just wanted to send it to the crusher.

Legend has it they were all running when parked.
http://hauntedauckland.com/site/car-tractor-graveyard-auckland/#jp-carousel-1689 5

So much good could have come of them but they're just a bit too late to save.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

I want that coupe with all the bullet holes in the first post BTW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Back in the 90's when I was hauling cars I picked up 2 old Packard touring cars in MI from Pollards daughter. Both cars had the rear sections rusted out from sitting on end. There were still a few more cars left, mostly large touring cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:20 am:

I like that coupe with the bullet holes too. Rust makes for some fun paintings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:39 am:

Shouldn't the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Automobiles) be notified about the abuse suffered by that poor Coupe body? Shot to pieces by some uncaring human! I assume the photo was taken on a Sunday because the body is so "holey" (intentional misspelling). :-)
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:02 am:

That is Idaho ventilation. We do it so as not to restrict the wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:14 am:

Wonderful memories of "hunting trips" for old car stuff. Like gold, rust is where you find it ! Commenting on the "holey" coupe body, it just occurred to me that when we first started to hunt rust, not much was "shot up". In retrospect, seems to me the incidence and number of bullet holes increased greatly since the 60s - testimony to the increased "traffic" on the "high lonesome" as well as the "sensibilities" of "sportsmen". I foreswore hunting (with a rifle) 40 years ago after being shot at herding cattle. (No - I wasn't rustling !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:30 am:

In 1969, when remnants of Hurricane Camille came through Virginia, Cosner Brothers, a salvage/wrecker/repair shop which was located next to the Rivanna River went completely under water. Our road access was cut off. Three years later a warning was issued that same level flooding was about to occur and Cosner, very laboriously, moved their entire inventory of old cars up the hill to a parking area. With a lot of cars and little time, they did not take full care in securing the vehicles. The rains came over night and in the morning there was I believe, a 1940's Desoto in our yard. I kinda liked the intruder and wanted to keep it but even though it was on our property, they came and got it. So, I did the next best thing, went up hill and "collected" license plates. After being informed that I should really return them, I did, but I don't think they went back on the same cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Richard, Iíll bet you got a lot of enjoyment painting that old bullet hole riddled coupe. The detail, patina, weather etc. is amazing, One can almost smell the sagebrush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Ahhh bullet holes. My dad brought home a Model A truck cab that was full of bullet holes. He then showed me how to "hammer weld" and to shrink and stretch the sheet metal. Then claimed his half to work on to get back into practice "moving metal" and let me work on the other half. I got pretty good, but could never get as good at it as Dad. I still use the oxy/acetylene torch and Dads tools when doing body work. As much as I don't like doing body work, I have a smile on my face while doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Thanks Bob. Trying to capture these things on canvas is very satisfying. I'm sure part of it is the great memories of discovering those treasures.

I found the remains of a bullet in one of the holes in my '14 door. A photo would have been nice but it disappeared into the shop abyss. Thinking of melting it down and using it to lead in the hole was amusing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Richard, at first glance, I thought that painting was an old photograph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

Hi Vern. The paintings have been mistaken for photos. I post some of my artwork here from time to time when I have something Model T related. For those who haven't seen them, this post has links to some of them. Scroll down a ways and there are 20 links.
Thanks.
Rich

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/616227.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

You Guys are breaking my heart - I grew up in that era, and piles of old cars and singles were everywhere, I think when they quit running, they got out and left them where they were. We used to tinker with one and all, had no idea what we were doing, but sometimes we would get one running. During the Scrap Drives of WW2, we all donated old cars and anything else on the place, one I still cry about was a Brass era, complete, that had been under our Barn for many years, still had air in the tires, I know because I helped roll it out to the Scrappers truck. Along with this, and I know a few of you remember this, after the War when all the GI stuff was scrapped out, running Jeeps were less than $50, some cheaper, you just picked out the best of the lot. Airplanes, I could go on forever about them, I saw many and many destroyed, and flew any number from Davis to folks that had bought them for the price of the fuel in the tanks. I may go cry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

Richard, yes. He had so many vehicles he had to stack them on their ends -- either front or rear. He also had an incredible collection of automobilia and even steam locomotives on his property. It was an amazing place to visit if you could get past his junkyard dog of a wife. She could be really nasty. Pollard was a real character. I attended his auctions and if he felt he wasn't getting what he thought the cars were worth, he'd just end the auction and walk off.

To his credit, due to his efforts he saved a lot of vehicles from the scrap drives and he started the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village in 1950.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

I found this at the top of the list searching "Barney Pollard". A neat site I hadn't seen before: http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2011/06/barney-pollard-car-collection-over-half. html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

We had a lot of old school junk yards in this area when I was a kid up into my late 20s but now they are all gone. It was always a mill town and old cars were everywhere. Now it's all Kia cars and I have to travel to good swap meets to get the smallest of parts used. Just nothing left here anymore.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration