Low - high head?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Low - high head?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Went to my parts engine
Pulled a few head bolts out
As they where new or appeared that way
Went mount my richardo head and they where way short
Pull the head and its a high head someone spent hours milling it in to a low head.
Any thoughts
Might run it say what it doese

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 06:59 am:

Bob, something is amiss. A high head cannot be milled to the height of a low head without getting into the water galleries between cylinders. Some will take up to .125" but others won't even go that far.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

I have seen heads milled all the way into the water jackets. The combustion dome is still attached via the spark plug. I was told it ran very well. But, personally, I would not want to try that. I don't even like the over-head-valve heads milled any more than must be done to make them flat enough to hold the gasket properly. If one cuts half the strength out of the head right where it needs it the most? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

Dug it out while getting ricardo head out use on my engine
Head measures 2 3/8" so i stand corrected

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Dug it out while getting ricardo head out use on my engine
Head measures 2 3/8" so i stand corrected

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

Bob, there is an easy way to tell a low head from a high head without measuring. I believe the low heads all have a raised ring on the inside of the chamber around the spark plug hole, whereas the high heads the hole is just drilled clean through.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Correct this is a milled high head

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration