Spindle threads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spindle threads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 12:55 am:

please help. my right spindle has left hand threads. the left side has right hand threads. is that right? just does not seem right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 12:59 am:

That is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 01:02 am:

Normal. While moving forward, the bearing will loosen instead of getting tight and causing a lock up and crash if there's a problem. Ingenious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 01:04 am:

ok thanks very much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:09 am:

That's why they take different nuts.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2708.aspx

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2707.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

thanks to you for replying.I was worried that the spindles were on the wrong sides

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 07:33 am:

Just a FYI, my spindles had buggered threads and instead of buying the special die to straighten them I bought a standard thread file and it worked perfect. Just takes patien.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:56 am:

Way to go James! Reminds me of back in the 60s-70s a local Craftsman owning bulk storage business but catracted to the extent of not being able to hold a driver's licence would repair 18 wheeler axles.
Many a time the State Police would send a Trooper to his business where he would place two 5 gallon buckets of tools in the back seat. In the first bucket he had an assortment of files, hammers and nuts (test). The second bucket would be turned upside down for his seat. He would patiently file away the burrs or use a 3 sided file with a Jewelers hammer until a test nut would turn past the damaged area. At that time the truck could be towed away when the rim/hub was installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 09:28 am:

Raymond...I see from your profile you're pretty new to the hobby/affliction/addiction, whatever we all want to call it! Welcome!

Here's a link to the "must have" book to help you take care of your car, as well as even learn so much about it. I have about worn mine out referrring to it!

Sometimes you can find one used and/or cheaper elsewhere, like Amazon or Ebay, but I wanted you to get a look at it to familiarize yourself with it.

Good luck and enjoy the drive!

https://www.modeltford.com/item/T1.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

It is funny how technology messes with itself. I have a 1954 Studebaker and the wheel bearing nuts are both right hand threads with cotter pins to stop them from turning in or out, however the wheel nuts are left and right handed which seems completely redundant. Not too many years thereafter they realized this was not necessary any more. It took a good number of years for them to realize that it didn't matter which way the threads were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 07:09 pm:

OT, but Mopars had LH thread lug nuts on the driver's side through 1970. Many have been switched to RH threads all around by their owners over the years.
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration