Reverse lever on early T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Reverse lever on early T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:39 am:

I hope you all don't mind me asking but I am curious.
Like alot of others i find the small pedals to be annoying to keep my foot from getting tangled up in between them. I wear my western boots usually so the sharp toe will help a bit to fix the problem.
But on a non original car,say a speedster,what would it require to put reverse on a second lever like the early cars? I have never saw 1 and have no clue how it was hooked up.It would seem a second handbrake lever system could be modified to make it work.
Pictures,ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:24 am:

It would be simpler to add a pedal extension. Most of the dealers carry them. But if you want to see some examples google "mtfca; 2 lever or mtfca;1909"
Here is a sample;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/460926.html?1405463308

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:26 am:

I second the like on the reverse pedal extension that the vendors sell, I have one on my '24.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3439EX.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Here's a few photos. The 2 pedal, 2 lever wasn't Ford's best idea, or maybe it was C.H. Wills design, since so many credit Wills with the enclosed style planetary transmission on the T.

If you talk to two pedal owners today they will say using at reverse lever is a trick. Pulling and holding firmly as needed to engage the reverse band, the foot is much stronger to do this chore. And with one hand on that reverse lever, only one hand is available to steer, and use the throttle at the same time while backing up looking over your shoulders!

Shaft of reverse is a lever hooked to a rod

The low and brake have pedals.

The reverse lever is on this tubular hollow shaft (black arrow) that moves independent of the emergency brake/ clutch lever. But the cam and follower design allows the reverse lever when pulled back to also pull the clutch pedal back into 'neutral' so the reverse in the planetary does work against forward gearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

This is how I accomplished that on my Racer (1970-1982). I wanted to lower the steering column into the space for the reverse pedal. Some tubing welded to a bar replaced the pedal. An angle bracket bolted to the frame with a pivot for a handle which was turned and bent. It worked well and was continued when I discarded the Racer body and built a C-cab on that chassis (1982-1999). The brass radiatored C-cab was often identified as an early 2-pedal 2 lever T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

The reverse lever wasn't unique to early Fords. One-lung Cadillacs have a lever mounted on the right (right-hand drive, remember). Holding the lever fully back engages the reverse clutch. Shoving it forward, where it will remain unaided, engages the high-speed forward clutch. Neutral is in the middle; stepping on a pedal engages the low-speed forward clutch. And yes, going backward is a pain in the kiester.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

I wish I could say I had the problem of the reverse lever being a pain on an early car. I can assure you I would embrace that "shortcoming" like I do any others the T has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Dan Treace,Sir I have always thought it was Joe Glamb ?? Who credits Willis? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

thanks for the photos folks. I didn't think about the 1 handed steering bit!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration