Looking for help with magneto assembly on a 1915 T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Looking for help with magneto assembly on a 1915 T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Hi All

I am working on putting my 1915 T engine magneto back together and have run into a puzzle with the magneto and oil line installation and would like to hear opinions on how to proceed.

I kept the original double stack magneto ring and oil line on the shelf and purchased a rebuilt double stack magneto ring and reproduction large scoop oil line.

While fitting the oil line the oil scoop hit up against a ridge on the magneto ring. After some fiddling I got the oil line and scoop adjusted a bit to make it fit. While fitting it up I noticed that the oil scoop also ended up partially under the ridge on the magneto ring.

I also did a test fit of the original small scoop oil line on the new magneto ring and found that it would not fit. The oil scoop ended up over the ridge on the magneto ring.

A look back at the original magneto ring showed that it was different and it doesn't have a raised ridge on the top of the ring where the oil lines bolt on. With this design of magneto ring the oil scoop is fully exposed to the oil spray which likely helps it to receive oil.

With the new magneto ring, the oil scoop is partially under the raised ridge on the magneto ring which might effect the spray of oil into the oil scoop.

I'm considering grinding some of upper section of this ridge of the new magneto ring to make it look like the old one and also to allow the oil to more easily fall into the large oil scoop.

Now for the questions. I checked the Encylopedia on the site, but it doesn't appear to have any notes about changes in the magneto ring casting that would explain this difference.

So, has anyone else run into this difference and what are the thoughts on grinding down the ridge on the magneto ring to improve oil flow.

Pictured below are the two magneto rings and oil lines installed on the block for comparison. The black one is the old original 1915 one. By the way, this is a Canadian T.

Jeff
Nova Scotia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

Jeff
Perhaps this will help. The later oil line funnel is superior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

The double stack oval field coils came in three configurations. The first type was completely flat around the mounting bolt boss area. No web or reinforcement of any kind, just like the earlier double stacked round field coils. The second type used the"parenthesis" style web reinforcements as shown in the first photo. The third type used the same type of reinforcement webs as did the later, single stack field coils. This type is shown in the second photo.

When getting a double stacked oval coil rewound, it's best to either have your own core rewound (if it came out of your engine) or ask that it be replaced with a rewound coil of the same type as your core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Replacement large funnel oil lines are basically crap. They are not made correctly and require significant modification to get them to fit onto the magneto ring. It doesn't matter weather you are working with a single stack or double stack coil. The large funnel will collect more oil than the original small funnel oil line, even if partially blocked by the coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

Replacement large funnel oil lines are basically crap. They are not made correctly and require significant modification to get them to fit onto the magneto ring. It doesn't matter weather you are working with a single stack or double stack coil. The large funnel will collect more oil than the original small funnel oil line, even if partially blocked by the coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

Hi R.V.

You have answered the main questions, the information is very helpful.

And yes, I am going to use the large funnel oil line and yes it took a while to re-work a bit to fit. I was warned it would need some work and it really wasn't all that much. I'm just happy that people make parts for the Ts, even if we have to do some "adjustments" to make it fit our particular one.

R.V. I wasn't aware of the differences when I ordered the rebuild magneto and the cost of shipping round trip across the boarder adds up so I would like to use the one that I received. If they did change the magneto to the full re-enforcement style and with the larger funnel, do you think this one would be OK to use without grinding the re-enforcement and instead tweaking the funnel some more instead?

Thanks

Jeff
Nova Scotia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

Jeff, I would advise bronze welding the funnel on your new large funnel oil line. They have a habit of parting from the tube, and if you have been fiddling around to make it fit, all the more reason to make that connection more secure.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

Here are pics of the three oval double stack magneto rings R.V. spoke of:

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Hi All

Thanks for the tips and advice.

I looked the new funnel over more closely tonight and it is brazed together, but with only a bit at the top.

It's going to get some more bronze before installation and will be checked closely for clearance from the magnets, etc. with rotation checks.

Thanks again.

Jeff Nova Scotia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Jeff, to answer your first question, I would either "tweak" the repop oil tube or, better, locate a good original in Canada. That may fit as it is but if you need to subtly re-shape the funnel, go ahead.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration