Rear axle question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rear axle question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

I am in the process of rebuilding the entire rear axle assembly on my 1910 Touring. I have everything completely torn down and ready to rebuild. Should I sandblast the housings, prime and paint them before putting it back together or should I sandblast and leave it in primer to rebuild, then paint it when the entire assembly is back together?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

Either works. Painting after covers everything perfectly as you would mark bolts etc. if you needed to take it apart. Just be sure to put together and make sure the setup is correct. My cars are for driving not show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

If you sandblast the parts, be sure to do only the outside, and also be sure to wash out any particles of sand. Sand will cause quick wear on the internal parts. To paint after assembly, would look the best, but no problem to paint before.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

A better way to clean the housings is to have them hot tanked. This will remove old paint from outside and all oily residue from inside, with no fear of grit lodging inside the housings, to be liberated later and to cause untold damage.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

You could do like we have been doing with our Model A housings. Hot tank everything. Setup and assemble everything including the radius rods (spot clean and paint were they are mounted. Now wrap all the opening (axle ends and ujoint) with several layeres of duct tape, the sand will just bounce off, then sand blast and paint. Make sure there are plugs in the grease holes in the axle housings and plug is in housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:20 am:

I've never blasted housings, hubs, or anything else with space inside, without some sand getting in, no matter how much masking or hole covering I did with duct tape or Gorilla tape. When I blast anything like that I consider washing out the sand just another part of the process. I prefer to blast and paint before assembly, but you can blast, clean, assemble, and then paint if you prefer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration