Salesmanís Model T Ford Carries a Cushman Demo Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Salesmanís Model T Ford Carries a Cushman Demo Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cassara Long Island, NY on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 06:40 am:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=146104

http://theoldmotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/cush.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 07:10 am:

Neat. Hereís a vid of a binder engine running
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ItT591joZZ4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 09:33 am:

Running, but not running well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 09:37 am:

better (smoother) running one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Av20vI1XeY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 09:51 am:

Notice the scarce early 1913 tail light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:11 am:

Doesn't look like a '13 tail light to me, but it is similar. It appears they may have gone to the later style hub caps on that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:35 am:

Note the front leather top strap. It uses the "buckle loop" rather than a rivet to hold the leather strap together. Also, the strap goes around the top socket rather than just going through the footman loop, which is has to hold the strap in place. This strap is 3/4" wide with blackened leather and black buckle hook.
I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

That's cool. A couple of weeks ago, I had to decide between going to an auction to bid on a Cushman like that, or pick up a Hercules FW 1 1/2 HP hit n miss. I decided to go with the Hercules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 12:24 am:

I've always liked the screen cooled engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 08:07 am:

Eric,
You cant go wrong with a hit-N-miss.. they are so much fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 08:37 am:

Speedo accessory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

I'm partial to Hercules myself. Mostly because that's all I can afford. I really like the early ones with the Webster mag and ignitor. It's an interesting feature that not a lot of people are familiar with nowadays. Gives you the chance to educate folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

Hal, I like the name on the webster, tri-polar oscillator, makes it sound like it was built by a mad scientist,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

This is my first hit n miss. I've always thought they were cool, but I really got the bug to have one after I bought a Fairbanks Morse 2 hp ZD on a whim at an auction a while back.

My Hercules is a '23 FW, so it needs a Wico EK magneto. That part was missing from mine when I bought it. I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal one one while I restore the rest of the engine.

As usual, my plan the simply freshen something up, turned into a complete restoration project. I probably could have made it run with a new magneto and a little tinkering, but once I started cleaning things up, I couldn't help myself. I stripped it all down and bead blasted all the parts. Soon, it will be just like new, and I'll have more money in it than it's worth. Just like a Model T, only smaller and cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 07:42 am:

I have a friend who has this knack for people calling him up and asking him to haul off neat old stuff for free. That doesn't happen to me often. Anyway, about 6 months ago, someone gave him 2 Economy's (Hercules with red paint for all practical purposes), a 5 hp, and a 12 hp. Both were E models with the Webster mag. He pressure washed all the grease and dirt off and we had the 12 hp running in just a couple of hours. The fuel tank needed some work, but we had is running off of a Mountain Dew bottle. We took the fuel tank out and cleaned it up and he had to have someone repair a leak in it, but it is back in there now and it runs like a champ. We haven't messed with the 5 hp, but I did take the mag/ignitor off and got it all freed up and it has a nice strong spark, just like the other one. No reason this one won't run either, but we need to get the fuel tank out and do a good cleaning on it and check for leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:23 am:

What year is that T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:28 am:

Bill, The car is a 1912 Torpedo runabout. Note the nice pinstriping on the body and wheels and the shape of the top as it attaches to the rear curtain. The speedometer is standard equipment for the 1912 Ford. The car appears to be relatively new.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

A 12 horse Hercules (Economy)? Hal, you know folks that give that stuff away?
I live in the wrong part of the country! :-)
I cannot fathom the size of a 12 horse Economy. A 12 should be a monster!
Very very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:40 pm:

Ugh. New OS doesn't allow editing...
Erik, you're going to like that engine. :-)
Tut, whew whew whew whew whew, tut, whew whew...... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:50 pm:

Wonder where they stuffed the car's gas tank?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration