Dangerous rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Dangerous rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

Going over my car getting it ready for tours
The rear axle notes scare me a 5/8 threaded end that I am sure has been cranked down many times holding the wheel on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

you can get replacements from Langs, nice sharp threads than will give you a bit of security.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

The axle shafts are roughly equivalent to 4140 steel hardened to Rc50. The nuts should be torqued to 100 foot pounds and checked occasionally.

If you have any doubts about the threads; make sure you use a brand new nut and if the thread on the axle shaft can’t handle 100 foot pounds, then it needs to be changed.

Your main worry is if the hub was run loose at one time and the taper is work-hardened, or if your bearing/ journal has issues...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 12:18 am:

Seems there are US made axles and off shore. I would make sure of the US made. Bob's has them and they are a perfect fit.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 11:33 am:

There are at least 3 vendors making axle shafts. The Shafts that are currently being retailed & wholesaled by Snyders are the best I have found. They have correct surface finish and hardness. I think these are what Bob is now selling too, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Other makes of axle shafts (all vendors shafts up til a couple years ago) have had issues with surface finish, straightness, and hardness.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration