NJRS mother in law roadster-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: NJRS mother in law roadster-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 08:50 am:

Does the cowl make it an S?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:10 am:

Herb, my guess with my limited knowledge would be a Model S roadster, because of the fenders running boards and mother-in-law seat. Love the Victorian ginger bread on the front of the house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Herb,

Ford Model S Roadster produced in 1908.

Because the N Runabout, R Runabout, S Runabout, and S Roadster parts will easily interchange you can often find photos of cars that Ford never built. But in the photo above the fenders, running boards, body are all clearly Ford Model S Runabout parts. And the chassis is clearly N, R, S, or SR. Based on the photo of a shinny car -- I would guess it is new or almost new. All that together leads us to know in this case it is a Model S Roadster.

From the Ford Price List of Parts the illustration below is a great guide:

Thanks so much for sharing it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 11:21 pm:

Which of those cars had 30X3 wheels on them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

The R, I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 08:06 am:

Gilbert - you are correct that the Model R Runabout came standard with the 30 x 3 inch clincher wheels & tires. But the Model S Roadster also was equipped with that size.

Note below are wheel and tire sizes per Pate's Early Ford Encyclopedia -- a great book available from the vendors as well as the author at: http://dunlavy.us/carlpate/index.htm It along with the sales brochures at: http://www.mtfca.com/books/bookmenu.htm

Model A - 28 x 3
Model B - 32 x 3 1/2 clincher
Model C - 28 x 3
Model F - 30 x 3
Model K - 34 x 4
Model N -- 28 x 3 (5 inch hub flange) (a few 28 x 2 1/2 for early 1906)
Model R -- 30 c 3 (5 inch hub flange)
Model S Runabout -- 28 x 3 (5 inch hub flange)
Model S Roadster -- 30 x 3 (5 inch hub flange)

Also the same wheel & tire size information is on page 46-47 of "Tin Lizzie" by Stern which was a table reprinted from the Ford Times.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:26 am:

Thank you, Hap. I hadn't realized there were wheel differences between the S and SR. It's odd to me that the car capable of the bigger load had the bigger tires, resulting in more road speed but less pulling power on hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:29 am:

Nice Photo. Love the home in the back round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:38 am:

Thanks Hap.
I have a couple of front wheels with the teardrop cross sectional spokes and a smaller hub than the early Model T's in a 30x3 tire size. Wandering what they may be for. Looks like three possibilities, F,R or S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:41 am:

Talking about the House in the background, I was told about ten years ago a Family inherited an old house and was going to doze it down and put in a double wide. I went and took all the gingerbread molding I could get off of it and the staircase railings and some of the glass windows which was the old wavy bubble glass. I only had two days after work to get these items and then it was all gone. I wish I had more time. It was a shame to see that old house buried.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:04 am:

Love those old houses. Too bad it has become impractical to keep them around. Stone foundations and the elements make it too costly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Beautiful car. On my mother's side there were two old farm houses. One had six fireplaces, holes in the floor and was restored. The other had water damage, wasps, and was plain, nothing special about it. When it was bulldozed to make room for a rebuild, the dog cried for days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:59 am:

The model F has 30 x 3 1/2 tires all the way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Tim,

Thank you for the correction! My bad! I went back and looked again at the 1911 table from the Ford Times on pages 46-47 and it says 30 x 3 1/2 double tube. I guess I saw what I wanted to see rather than what was there!

Note in Bruce's encyclopedia at: http://www.mtfca.com/books/1904.htm Under the Model F it has :

Tire size was increased to 30 by 3-1/2 [larger than Model C].

And on the right column it has:

Wheels, 30 inches.
Tires, 3-1/2 inch double tube.

I suspect but I do NOT know that those 30 x 3 1/2 inch double tube tires were not clinchers -- but more likely the straight sided tires that had the rims attached with multiple bolts.

On page 32 of 63 of Chapter 4 of Carl's book "Pate's Early Ford Encyclopedia, I believe the Model F on the right hand side of the page appears to have the rims that have numerous bolts holding the rims to the wheel. The other 2 early photos of Model F's do not show those bolts or the photo was not high enough resolution for me to see them if they were there. Shown below is the Firestone version of what I think (but I do NOT know) were the double tube bolted together rims. (Photo appears to have been from E-bay.) A similar style Fisk wheel is shown on page 90 of 91 of Chapter 6 of Carl's book.

For additional photos of the Mechanically fastened rims please see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/411456.html?1388592296

Used on the Model N pictured at:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/215178.html?1307407846

Also, I do NOT know if 30 x 3 1/2 inch clinchers were or were not offered from the factory for the Model F. When it comes to the 2, 6, & 8 cylinder cylinder Fords -- that is an area I need to remember to defer to those with more experience and knowledge.

Again, thank you so much for the correction and your help!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration