1926-27 Transmission brake drum cracks at bolt holes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1926-27 Transmission brake drum cracks at bolt holes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:26 am:

26-27 brake drum with every driven plate hole cracked. every 26-27 drum I have ever seen is always cracked in this area. Its very thin and no surprise that it would be cracked. My guess is they were probably cracked when the cars were new. What are others experiences with these drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:31 am:

Jason I have had many 26 Transmission Brake Drum and don't ever remember finding any cracks. Maybe I just missed some. I will check some of my 26 Brake Drums today to see if they have any cracks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Dave the ones I have seen always look good until they are blasted and cleaned in the parts washer. then the cracks are visible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:37 am:

Jason years ago I was given a nice 26 Brake Drum and I had it on a work bench doing something to something else. I turned around and it rolled off the bench hit a cement floor and it had a lot of cracks. Another time I had a bunch of drums on a 6 or 7 high shelving. I don't remember how but it tipped over and again two drums had plenty of cracks (one was a 26 brake drum.

shelves

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:55 am:

I have seen this also. I believe it is due to miss alignment on the 4th main. Causes the driven plate to "flex". Either the shaft in the driven plate gets loose or the drum cracks or crank breaks. Weakest link in the chain goes first. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 11:19 am:

Has anyone had a drum to fail because of these cracks? I have taken them out of running engines like this and reused them. Have never had a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 04:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 04:52 pm:

That's the kind of thing you can't tell anybody you did, lest you be lampooned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 05:34 pm:

Hal I can take it. :-) I've never saw a drum fail because of those cracks. I just can't see trashing them and buying new if not needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Has anyone had or heard of a drum failing because of these cracks at the bolt holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 01:13 am:

Has anyone ever turned the friction surface undersize and shrunk a steel band on? Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Dave I think on the brake drum it would make it too weak. Since the brake drum holds the clutch pack it would make the lugs very weak. I'm still curious if anyone has had or heard of a drum failing because of these cracks at the bolt holes? Does anyone else just reuse these drums as I have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

I re-use them. No choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

Kep have you ever had a problem with them? I think a lot of people reuse them. I also think a lot of people are even unaware that they are even cracked. Most of the ones that I have seen were not noticeable until blasted and cleaned in a washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

Most are not as noticeable but these are the cracks I'm talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

Most are not as noticeable but these are the cracks I'm talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brooks on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

I have noticed those cracks on the 26-27 drums. Its awful thin on that side. I to suspect that they were cracked when new or shortly after being in service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 07:47 am:

(Message edited by jwalters on January 13, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

Surely more people have noticed and dealt with this problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

I'm curious if anyone has had or heard of a drum failing because of these cracks at the bolt holes? Does anyone else just reuse these brake drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

I never heard of one failing due to the cracks. I guess I've been lucky but I've always been able to find brake drums crack free .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

Thanks for your feedback Richard. Are the brake drums your referring to 26-27 drums? Anyone else have any thoughts on these drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:22 pm:

I've noticed several 26-27 brake drums with those cracks. I've never experienced any problems in running them. My personal thought is they are caused by oil in the holes. If you tighten the bolts with too much oil in the hole, it has no where to go and actually "hydraulics" a crack in the weakest part, which is right where those cracks are. Just a thought. I'm sure there are others with a better explanation. Let's have fun out there all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 08:13 am:

William thank you for detailing your experience.

I was thinking of adding a high compression head. I'm curious if the cracked drum can handle the added torque?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 09:34 am:

Jason,

I'm pretty sure there are lots of T's out there, running with those same cracks in them, whether the owners know about them or not. I believe they were caused by tightening, or maybe over tightening, the drive plate bolts. It's the kind of thing where, if you've got it apart, you'd kinda like to find a better one with no cracks, but if that isn't possible... I would not use one that had cracks that looked ugly and deep. Most that I have seen are very fine cracks.

As for wondering about the added torque of a high compression head, that's not important. Worry about the torque that goes through there when you use your brakes. Still, it's most likely not a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 11:01 pm:

Thank you Jerry for your info/advice. I will be adding accessory rear brakes so that should help. I'm actually thinking of making some cast iron drums and using the parking brake as a service brake. Any thoughts on that idea?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 09:26 am:

Jason,

I assume you mean cast iron drums for the rear wheels? That would probably work well. However, Rocky Mountain brakes seem to work well, though not as well in reverse, as may be aware.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration