DIY seat upholstery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: DIY seat upholstery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

I am about to install the front and rear seat back covers on my '21 Touring so I can then install my top. I suppose it will be obvious when I get started but, which backrest cover is longest? The two I have look to be alike except one looks like it will wrap around farther. Looking at the body of the car, I cannot tell which is front and which is rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:25 pm:

The back seat is wider, take a tape measure and verify it for yourself, you'll see. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 11:25 pm:

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your upholstery. I have a 21 touring and plan to upholster sometime this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 01:21 am:

I have watched the videos that I can find and am about ready to give it a try. Speaking of videos, I find it very annoying trying to watch a video that plays in a narrow frame in the center of the screen instead of full screen. It's almost as annoying as videos with a lot of wind noise, when people record from in a vehicle and won't keep the phone/camera inside, behind the WINDSHIELD, or record outside on a windy day. I either turn the video off or mute the sound.
Anyway, my biggest fear in upholstering in shooting a staple or driving a tack in the wrong place or having to reposition the material. Then you have extra, unnecessary holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:37 am:

I use push pins for the initial positioning of the material. Any extra holes will be hidden by the final welting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Tommy, Could you do me a huge favor and post a few pic of the tack strip on the front and back before you start? I would like to see/verify how the wood is attached.

Thank you
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

Here's a couple of pics. My tack strips are both new. As you can see, I hope, the screws that hold the armrests to the body go through the strips too. The screws on mine, having a two-man top, go through the top brackets and the strips. There is a row of screws around the back of the body, spaced about 4 inches apart. I like having new strips with no holes where staples have been. My top bows appear to have the original wrapping on them so I wont have to use as many toothpicks to fill holes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration