Factory safety wiring method

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Factory safety wiring method
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:29 am:

Any photos or info out there about how the factory safety wired the ring & pinon or other critical assemblies? I'd like to see their original process of securing bolts that weren't secured by cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:00 am:

The pictures I've seen are pretty slapdash, in my opinion you don't want to intentionally duplicate it.

You can do a much better job, buy some real stainless steel safety wire. It's easier to do a top notch job with real safety wire pliers, but it can be done by hand, it just takes longer.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/48566.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/693978.html?1479508052

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/710044.html?1500292262

If you are determined to duplicate the factory product, look in the Ford service manual, figures 27, 32, 135, 136, 325, and 349.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:05 am:

I'm doing it the way it should be done with safety wire pliers, but I was curious to see how the factory actually did it for comparison. Thanks for posting these links Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Another personal preference - I prefer to wire bolts together in pairs, rather than running a single piece of wire all the way around a ring of multiple bolts. That way, if a wire breaks, only two bolts are affected rather than all of them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:09 am:

The last link above from Ed Fuller is what I used. Thanks Ed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:17 am:

I have been safety wiring in the Aviation industry for 49 years. Everything from Helicopters to Jet engines. I do not own nor use a pliers. You can do a nice job without them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:17 am:

I've always done it like Ed did- works great and looks great!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration